Question regarding EnGenius EWS357AP and EWS377AP

So I have been eyeing available access points on the market for a while now, thinking about maybe upgrading my wireless setup. I remember that EWS357AP and EWS377AP ( along with a model from Cisco ) not only were the first ones that became available on the market, but EnGenius also did it more than a year before all the other manufacturers.

They seem like a great product both base on their spec when they came on the market at first and all the reviews and comparisons with other products that have become available since then, now that there are other models on the market. EWS377AP is still the only AP that I know, in this class, that is not bottlenecked by a 1 gig Ethernet port.

The explanation, at the time, from other manufactures like Ubiquiti, was that they were waiting for the WiFi 6 standards to be finalized, and that makes me wonder if there are any issues or missing capabilities in the hardware implementation of EnGenius devices ( anything that can’t be fixed with a firmware update ) compare to all the other models that came to market more than a year later?

It would also be great if people who have these devices could share how their experience has been with them so far.

Thanks,

https://www.ruckussecurity.com/ZoneFlex-R750.asp
https://www.ruckussecurity.com/ZoneFlex-R730.asp

Dont own these but have like my Rukus 710 a lot more then my Ubiquiti AP Pros

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I am sure they are great hardware, but their whole licensing and the cloud dependency thing that they have unfortunately, makes them a no go for me.

You dont need cloud, they have a stand alone set up.

They call it unleashed (Just making sure you are aware of all options) I know wendell tested some of the EnGenius APs not sure if these were the ones or not.

I appreciate that. Don’t they still require activation? Their site don’t even let me download the damn manual without asking me to sign in first.

I cant remember if I activated to be honest been over a year. I dont think so just download and flash if i remember correctly.

Walk away from EnGenius. I have had an open support ticket with them for over a week and not a single reply, not even an automated one.

I got 3 AP’s and I am strongly considering dumping them.

Issues:

1. 12 character limit on passwords
  2. Automatic truncation of username and password when over 12 char, without note/warning
  3. Only supports .11r/k with RADIUS and ezMaster running separately, so if you dont have a RADIUS server running, you only get RSSI and band steering for “roaming.”
  4. No container support, no FOSS support. Their controller is a HyperV, Virtual Box, VMW Player image only. They say they support linux but what they mean is you can use a web browser on linux.

The only pro’s I have at the moment are that you can configure the AP’s directly from a webpage in a standalone configuration. In standalone you get VLAN support, Guest Network support which are things you cant have in Unifi without a controller running 24/7.

Thanks for posting that. This is what I need. Things that you won’t find in the marketing crap.

That being said, if you didn’t got an automated response back, unless they don’t have automated response in general, you might want to submit your ticket again. They might not have received it in the first place.

I sent one via Zendesk, and one to the support email. I also contacted them on Twitter, and PMed Wendell in hopes that maybe he can give them a nudge.

1 Like