Question about windows account activation

I get the IVR even for the key ive transferred double digits times :^)

1 Like

This can probably be closed btw.

I figured it out, I just didnā€™t know how the key system worked.

If people have things to discuss please start new threads :3

ty

1 Like

Waitā€¦ Can you explain what you did?

1 Like

As I pointed out earlier, I had installed windows 10 on my thinkpad. With the info mentioned here about buned in keys, I took a swing at it and too the thinkpad key to my desktop to see if itā€™d register and it did. So it took that windows 7 key and applied it to 10 just fine.

Now Iā€™m just questioning how the key system works since it doesnā€™t appear to have any rules at all.

1 Like

Ahhh, I see. You did what Ruffalo recommended you do and called MS to transfer an OEM license from one PC to another.

Thanks for the thread, mate! Iā€™ll lock it now as you requested.

Good luck with this, BTW.

I would add real quick one missing piece is microsoft did actually briefly sell 3-activation keys that were meant for 3 different computers in a home non-business scenario. Even windows pro, because remote desktop, was okay as long as it was personal machines not business machines.

3 Likes

Yeah, I used one of those from Windows 7. When I upgraded to windows 10, it kicked back to single PC. :frowning:

it was like $30 direct from microsoft to put it back. I still have the email somewhereā€¦ that key has been great. That was for about a month when windows 10 first launched iirc. My key started out from win8 tho

1 Like