Question about TDP and overclocking AMD 5700G VS 5700GE 65W vs 35W TDP

This may be a dumb question but I’m curious, would the 5700GE with it’s 35w TDP be a better option for overclocking since it has a lower base TDP than the 65W TDP on the 5700G? So my thinking is the 5700GE would be able to handle voltage increase that goes along with hard core overclocking since it’s starting at a lower wattage to begin with…

Make fun of me all you want if this is a dumb question. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s definitely not a guarantee that it will perform better when overclocked. Not an expert in any way, but there are a couple of things that might be going on here.

The CPU might be binned according to the 35W TDP target that they have set. All CPU-s fit into a voltage/clock speed curve and the E versions may just be more efficient and can be run at the same speeds but with a lower voltage.

Or it might be the same as a normal 5700G, but with the TDP limit being set on the CPU itself. This is something that some motherboards allow you to configure as well (cTDP), you can very well turn a 5700G into a 5700GE with a UEFI setting change.

Product pages indicate that both can turbo up to 4.6GHz, there might not be much of a difference in the overclocking ability between the two and it’s likely down to the silicon lottery.

I’m not sure how good of an idea an overclock is in the first place, modern AMD Ryzen CPU-s don’t really leave much overclocking headroom from what I’ve heard, they already boost within reasonable limits to get the most performance out of the chip.

1 Like

Don’t let that dialed-back wattage fool you, on the GE SKU. These could very well be CCXs, that didn’t meet full binning, for regular G chip title. Thas NOT to say they be bad chips, but to temper the expectations down [think like how AMD was able to generate, a stack of viable Phenom II options].

I did a quick test that’s relevant to this topic.

ASRock Deskmini X300 allows me to limit my Ryzen 7 5700G to a 35W TDP limit. By doing that, the CPU can still turbo up to 4.6 GHz on a single core, and with an all-core load the cores are stable at 3.2 GHz, which happens to be exactly the same spec that’s shown on AMD-s specs for the 5700GE.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.