Question about running multiple fans off a GPU fan header

Parts list here.

I’m working with an MSI R9 390 GPU that’s really too big for this case. Temps were atrocious because it can’t get enough air through the bottom vents. To deal with cooling, I used an NZXT G12 adapter with a Thermaltake AIO (I know, the 240mm rad is overkill, but I was sick of dealing with thermal issues.)

The CHA_FAN 2 header on this mobo is a 12v, full speed-only header, so I’m planning on connecting the AIO pump to it. I’d like to run the G12 fan, and both the radiator fans off the GPU header, so the GPU temp will drive the speeds on these. The GPU header originally ran the two fans on the stock cooler, so it will only be running one fan more (although two of them are larger than the stock fans.)

So question is this: will it be safe to run these three fans off the GPU fan header?

Just to make sure I understand you correctly:
You run an AIO pump of the motherboard and the fans on the radiator and G12 off the GPU?

That’s the idea, yes.

I currently set it up to run the AIO pump and the small fan on the G12 bracket from the GPU fan header, and ran the radiator fans off the CHA-FAN 2 header. But I then realized that the FAN 2 header isn’t speed controlled, and only runs at full speed - so the radiator fans are running at 100% all the time.

The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) running the AIO pump at full speed, and the fans to vary according to temp, is the correct way to do this. I’m just concerned about running all three fans off the GPU header. I could run the radiator fans with the CHA_FAN 1 header, but then they wouldn’t be sensing the GPU temps.

I looked into some specs:

• G12 fan power: 2.16W
  • 120mm fan power: 0.6W to 4W
  • Typical pump power: 14 to 24W

Running the fans of the GPU makes a lot more sense from a power draw and noise stand point. Would suggest you do the swap.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input! Glad to know my logic was sound.

2 Likes