Question About Making My Own Router

This server use a LGA 1366, it has 2 x E5540 4 cores/8 threads CPU and it should be good for right now for what I am doing, All 18 Ram stick are 8GB, so I have 144GB of ram total. Both power supply is 870w (80 Plus Platinum). I got it for $175 American, I want to make it a Router (10 devices Max, most of the times 4 devices), Plex Media Server (2 people), Minecraft Server (max 10 people), I will be using VMware vSphere. The Route can I use a PIC-e Wi-Fi card or do I have to get a external devices for Wi-Fi.

1 Like

It would be better to use an external access point. That way you can stash that massive noise making beast in a corner or closet somewhere and place the AP where it will provide the best Wi-fi coverage.

1 Like

Bruh I dunno if that's gonna be enough memory for a router. : /

It would be in the same spot as my Wi-Fi is place, In the middle back of my house,

Yea, I was think of sell all but 48GB.

Good for virtualizing linux servers/services. Virtualize your authentication server, email server, router, web server, etc on their own little boxes, throw freenas on. Not much good for virtualizing desktops or data crunching but as a fileserver / utility server it can be a great little box.

The big challenge will be making it quiet. It is going to sound very much like a cessna taking off in your "server room". Noctua fans and Consumer PSU's can help if you can get adequate air flow

That means you'll get weaker Wi-Fi reception in front, which is fine if you'll still be getting adequate coverage. With a separate AP you could run a cable more towards the front center so it'll give you better coverage over the whole residence. I run a flat ethernet cable under the base board from my study, which is in the corner of my apartment, to the switch under the my tv stand in living room. I converted my old d-link router in to AP.

The other problem with using a pci-e Wi-Fi card with some router software like pfSense is that driver support is kind of hit or miss. Access points are easy to update as well if you want to get one with better bandwidth, more antennas, and support the latest tech like MU-MIMO.

None of that really matters though if you don't need robust Wi-Fi. Its just somethings to consider when you think about how your network needs/want may evolve in the future.

Its better to have an external AP. You can use a Wi-Fi card, but the range and performance of something like a Ubiquiti AC Lite would be better than most any Wi-Fi card. I've got an AC Lite and its been great, as many other forum members can attest to here. You can find it here:

1 Like