Question About Live Distros

Is it possible to update the kernel on a live CD on one machine and then install it to another machine? I am asking because there are many Debian-based distros that I would like to try, but most use older kernels that do not support my new-ish networking hardware.

So say for instance, I wanted to run elementary but I have the above networking problem. Could I boot the live CD on another fully functioning machine, update the kernel (I've never even done that before on it's own) and then install it and have networking on my main PC?

Im surprised there is any networking hardware that isn't supported by any 3.* kernel. Your best option is to download the latest kernel from a working OS and manually install it. you can use the -d option with apt get. the package should be located in /var/cache/apt/archives

Thanks for the reply, but I think I'm just going to stick with Fedora 21 for now. However IIRC, there was a Debian-based distro I tried a few months ago that did support my networking hardware out of the box, but I don't remember which one it is.

Anyway, for future reference and for others to see, if you don't mind going into further detail on how to do that manually?

Are you saying use apt-get -d xxxx to download the kernel? And that the package needed should be saved to that directory? Sorry, I'm just trying to clarify.

I don't blame you, if its not working ootb its not suitable. 

apt-get -d install <kernel name> (i dont know what its called on Debian distos usually)

copy the downloaded packages from /var/cache/apt/archives to a usb

In the distro that needs updated, run: dpkg -i <package name>

I like Fedora, its a good distro, make sure you've got rpmfusion repos installed if you want any non-free and additional packages.

edit: made mistake in command

Thanks for that. I may give that a shot before I reinstall Fedora 21 (I broke some shit) just to see if I can get it to work.

I really need to get a dedicated testing machine, lol. Having your daily driver down sucks.