Question about Isp capacity and mobile

I read a lot in the news and see how companies like Comcast and you know all the Cellular providers.. They throttle or "prioritize" traffic speeds. I'm wondering... it's obvious a company can gain financially... but is it really that the capacity is the issue for a limit to be put into place or is it really just a money thing?

Money, it enables and fosters the notion of "fast lanes" or paid for priority routing, traffic is traffic, as you can see in what last year Comcast did to it's Netflix customers causing Netflix to pay for priority routing or a better connection basically to Comcast's infrastructure.

1 Like

Technically, the idea of 'fast lanes" is already being implemented in ipv6. Furthermore, the concept or "urgent" data has been implemented with TCP for decades. Go goolge ip packet headers, and look at the bit flags; PSH, SYC, ACK, etc etc. All of those flag bits tell routers to treat packets a certain way. And if you have ever been in Data Communications class, you will know the havoc that is UDP.

I work for a network management company, and often, problems on the network stem from moronic end users, who stream endlessly, using too much of the pooled bandwidth and cause collisions on the network due to increased amounts of traffic. I've had to tell residents, "sorry you can't do your online lecture, too many people are streaming netflix right now and theres nothing we can do." Because if we block UDP traffic then everyone would have a cow and be pissed at us. I want my streaming, well I want my classes to work. Can't have both all the time, and you are always between a rock and a hardplace.

1 Like

Maybe not on the wired side of things but actually on the mobile side of things its rather hard to give everyone everything they want. If you want to know how they work start a thread about it and I can talk about how a cell network handles its many clients. The big issue here is on download even though ofdma has its woderous advantages on lte its still a slot just like a tdma (time division multiple access)network... While ofdma frequency divides. Ofdma gave a big boost to max concurrent throughput and users its still limited by having to give a user a frequency slot which dry up very quickly. That's why when you stop using it the slot is immediately given away.. However if you hog that slot by doing something like constant streaming it severly hinders the networks ability to handle this there are only so many frequency slot and in a populated area this can become problematic and cause service outrages. However they don't normally hit capacity so for the most part this data stuff is all money. It's also a good deterance for all them pesky streamers. T-Mobile is now doing unlimited streaming.. It's not going to go well because they will obviously start having spotty network performance. Like I said if you to talk make a thread specifically about mobile networks and I'll jump on that. I'm an rf engineer.. I love this shit lol

2 Likes