Question about a board I found on Craigslist

I found a pretty cheap Asus M5a97 Evo2 AM3+ motherboard for sale on Craigslist, but was a bit concerned. The pictures the guy included don't look like any version of this board I can find. I mean it overall looks the same, but the heatsinks on it are silver instead of blue, and the RAM slots are all pure black, rather than Black Blue Black Blue rotating, and it also has a different PCI setup. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but I just figured I'd get some more info and see if maybe anyone else has seen this same board with a different color variation or, if this is any sort of redflag. 99% sure I'm just being paranoid haha, but It's hard enough trusting used computer parts from a stranger as is. And pleeeeeeeease don't turn this into Intel vs AMD, or "get this board instead" thread

Here are the pictures he included:

http://www.ascendtech.us/asus-m51bc-90pa05b0-m0xxn0-motherboard_i_mbasu90pa05b0m0.aspx
Seems legit to me
Full name: asus m5a97 evo2/m51bc/dp_mb

That puts my mind a bit at ease, but also raises more questions. Is the M51BC a different board than the M5a97? Besides the link you sent me, I couldn't find any information about this board from Asus's website. Their website has a different looking board https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO_R20/ with different color scheme and also different PCI slots. I imagine the guy probably doesn't have the install disc so I'd need to get the drivers from the website, but unless I'm missing something I can't find any information about this exact board on their website.

To my understanding, it is a Micro-ATX version of the M51BC that evolved into the M5A97 EVO to become the board you linked.

I tried:

As a wild assumption with no actual knowledge of the board, it might not be on their site because it may be built specifically for an OEM

Hmm, the link doesn't seem to be working for me. It just comes to a "We'll be back" for maintenance page.

If it was built for an OEM machine, which I'm actually begining to think you're right - searching M51BC brings up a lot of prebuilt systems, would that be compatible to start a fresh build with? I don't have much experience with OEM motherboards. Also, where would I get the drivers for this specific board then since it's not officially on their website?

I don't mean to be pushy, but I'm shamelessly bumping this up because the guy is going to be calling me in a few hours and I'm trying to make up my mind if it's worth it beforehand haha.

Not to be a buzz kill but it's really never a good idea to buy a used MB, especially off of Craigslist, hopefully it won't be DOA or damaged by a PS that has failed, of course if he offers you some guarantee and you can get your money back hassle free then it might be a good deal.

2 Likes

I'd worry more about this than anything. Get a written agreement if it worries you.

The guy said he would give me a refund if it doesn't work, but I'm really not too worried about that. Just getting the correct drivers for it is my only real concern.

Alright. Well, I got ahold of him and found a bit of light at the end of the tunnel... He told me that I can access the drivers for this board by downloading the drivers meant for the pre-built computer at https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/M51BC/HelpDesk_Download/ the only remaining issue is that the guy I'm going to be setting this up for has Windows 8.1 (Don't ask why, he likes it) and for whatever reason all of the drivers are available for it except for the USB 3.0 drivers... They do have drivers for it under Windows 7. Does anyone know if I would be able to download the USB 3 drivers for 7 to be used on 8? I know I could always just try it out myself, but I haven't bought the board yet and want to get as much troubleshooting done beforehand.

I have never heard about that particular board.
Looks to me that it might be some kind of an OEM board or what not.
I have the Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 myself.
The VRM looks similar.
Supposingly that the drivers are similar to the M5A97 EVO aswell.
But its an odd board, that i have never seen.