My current specs are as follows:

i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.5GHz

CM Hyper Evo 212+ Cooler

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM

120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD.

MSI 660ti 2GB Power Edition.

iiyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" LED Monitor 1920x1080 5ms

I currently have roughly £450/£500 to spare, and I am considering an upgrade to 1440p/27". I am steering away from Korean cheap alternatives because of the risk involved and lack of warranty and high import fee's. I have been leaning towards getting the Asus PB278Q cause of it's PLS panel, 5ms response time, 1440p res and wide range of inputs.

I generally play games such as CS:GO, League of Legends and some other FPS games. I originally bought the  Viewsonic VX2770SMH-LED 27" 1080p. But it came with a blotch of dead pixels, it seemed blurry, black's didn't seem as deep as my 24" TN panel, so I returned it, got a refund and went back to my old monitor. I dunno whether this was a effect of it being IPS or 1080p. I've heard that there are better TN 27" 1080p Asus 1ms panels for FPS gaming but I have also heard 1080p is bad on anything higher than 24" at a 2ft max distance. 

Could money be better spent on other PC hardware? Is 27" really too big? Was the blur on the Viewsonic because it was 1080p, or IPS, or that specific screen? Is the PB278Q good for gaming? Is 1080p still good for 27"? Just curious of your thoughts on this. Thanks guys

What type of connection are you using between your GPU and monitor e.g. HDMI or DVI? Because everytime I go to the TigerDirect.com retail store near my home I always mess around with the gaming machines they have setup. I have noticed that with HDMI the picture was either blurry or somewhat pixelated but this is probably caused by something in the GPU settings or a driver issue.

As for your other question

"Is 1080p still good for 27"?

I do not have an answer for but I am also curious about this :)

Tried both at the time, and they both produced the same result.