Qubes Problem / Answer thread

Since we are all playing with it, we might as well start a small problem thread here for it.

Install troubles

• Use Rufus in DD mode or use DD in linux preferably to create image for USB

• Try a different USB port. Seriously.

• If the install hangs before even getting to the main install screen/GUI, then reboot, highlite the troubleshooting option and hit “e” to open up its command line options. At the end of the chainloader line add /mapbs /noexitboot at the end. Ctrl+X to start the install.

• If using USB install, don’t miss the bios boot screen and let windows see the USB. Windows likes to create special hidden folders on inserted USB’s to help it identify USB drives, which will cause Qubes to fail the media check if you try again. (This was a 2 hour headache for me)

• If you get it installed but don’t see the option to boot to it in your bios, you need to rename xen.efi to BOOTX64.efi and xen.cfg to BOOTX64.cfg and place them all in the /sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT folder. The default efi and cfg files are located in mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/qubes . copy everything in there to the BOOT folder you created ( use Qubes rescue from the live disk to do this in a shell )
    I had to do this for my Dell XPS13

• If you have to do the above ^ EFI edits, then if you decide to use sys-usb to take USB support out of directly communicating with Dom0, you will need to edit the efi files manually to hide USB’s from boot since the default setup for sys-usb is set up to edit the default efi files.

Network troubles

• If no network devices show up, make sure sys-net has control of the NIC. sys-net>vm settings>devices.

• If using USB Network devices (usbETH) then you need to find the correct usb controller your adapter is connected to Follow this guide and connect it to sys-net OR If you set up sys-usb already, and you want all your network traffic going through your USB device, Then go into the settings for sys-usb, services tab, and check network manager. Next open up sys-firewall settings and set it’s net-VM to sys-usb , and shutdown sys-net.

if @wendell ran into any issues I hope this helps :slight_smile: This was my past entire weekend. I’m still working out some kinks, I’ll post anymore fixes if I come across them.

5 Likes

I had problems with the Qubes v4 rc1 installer crashing to a black screen. Disabling VT-d in the UEFI fixed this.

After the install was complete, I re-enabled VT-d, but this caused boot loops!!! It seems that Qubes just doesn’t like VT-d.

Hmmm, interesting, I’ll try that out.

Hello, I’m trying to rename move and replace the cfg and EFI files as you suggested, but I cannot access those folders because permission is denied. What exactly needs to be done?

How are you trying to change them? Are you in the recovery environment by booting again off of your install media? That should give you root access…

I edited that part in the op to make it a little more clear

i solved my problem. thank you very much for the insights

Dear Sirs
Please help if you can!!!
I have an issue with installing Qubes 4.01. It is stuck on the “installing boot loader” and nothing happening!
My working station is HP ZBook 14 G2

• CPU: 2.6GHz Intel Core i7-5600U (dual-core, 4MB cache, up to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • Graphics: AMD FirePro M4150 (1GB GDDR5)
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3L (1,600MHz)

I would very appreciate if someone helps me to solve this problem.

I am looking forward

Best wishes Hanna

Sorry for the slight delay. :slight_smile:
By now, the Qubes 4.0.3 installer is out, maybe try that?

Beyond that, please check your bios to see if virtualization and IOMMU support are both enabled.

o.o

Dream os has a thread?

Cool