Qubes OS Part 1: Overview and Features | Level One Techs

Yeah I guess I do have VT-X, but without VT-D support the setup is practically useless to me since everything I do involves GPU usage

When is part 2?

2 Likes

Got Qubes v4 rc1 rocknā€™ ā€˜nā€™ rollinā€™ on a ThinkPad. Steep learning curve! Ready for part 2.

My current obsession is Coreboot. These two projects go together like William Powell and Myrna Loy. There are lots of vids on how to flash Coreboot, but next to nothing on how to configure and build the software, extract a video BIOS image and choose from among the available payloads.

Just a suggestion ā€¦

Part 2

5 Likes

V4 is taking too long to come out. Also buggy on Ryzen :frowning: we need to raise them a few million in vcā€¦

So another video to generate more interest and get them working again perhaps?

R4.0 has been released in the past week, though Iā€™m having annoying stutter/lag issues that bleed into dom0 when a VM runs out of memory (running 4.15, not sure about 4.14, bc vega56).

1 Like

Can anyone here recommend a newish graphics card that works on qubes out of the box?

any radeon card should do. :slight_smile:

Necro but a cool OS. Wish it was making new news more.

think iā€™ll check hardware compat with my ryzen2700x.

it runs from USB and i have a 128 GB stickā€¦

Ha, I was actually rocking Qubes on my UX32A/B for a while last year too, but I was running stock RAM which quickly got eaten up.

1 Like

Are there any GPUs that do the SR-IOV withing the grasp of Plebs? Heard rumors that on some Pro cards from AMD that this was able to be enabled with drivers or bios mods??? AMD Radeon Proā„¢ V520ā€¦ Can this be used with say threadripper pro? to achieve SR-IOV?

Given the way things are going it would not surprise me to see consumer sr-IOV soon and we will have Microsoft legacy shitware to thank.

Itā€™s the only way out I see for them to be able to deprecate all the crap in the base platform and yet still run legacy software securely at an acceptable speed: in a virtualised container.