Qubes OS - Hackintosh

So in their latest video about Qubes OS, they mentioned that running a Hackintosh would be possible, I was just wondering how this would be achieved exactly. I'm interested.

2 Likes

throw a modified OS X install image into one of those VM domains, just like every other OS X VM in existence.

3 Likes

Something like Niresh Mavericks or PSYCH107's El Capitan if you can find an image.

2 Likes

How do I make one?

you don't, at least not without ample experience and citizenship in a DMCA flaunting nation.

you basically have to DL one off of TBP or elsewhere with the blind faith that it won't co-opt your machine for crypto-mining or DDOS

2 Likes

TBP?

Oh... ewh... sounds pretty risky then. I think I should pass.

Not really, not that I would know anything about that, it's fairly easy to detect when you're running a bot since all it takes is a glance at your sent and relieved packets. Also realize that most malicious modded OS images are only made malicious by the one's who acquired it second hand, meaning that the infected image prolly only extends to one, maybe two processes since most of these loosers don't understand hooking or have the gumption to reverse a system file just to toss in random bot code...
Honestly I'd ask on a hackintosh forum and see if you get a consensus on a valid image.

think is was more a meme that a PC / hackintos / Qubess OS pc.

1 Like

Do you speak English

1 Like

Not often

2 Likes

I didn't say it would be, I just said there's no way to tell until implementing it unless there's an image modder out there kind enough to provide md5 sums (and even then it's not a sure thing)

voluntarily running a hackintosh VM sort of defeats the purpose of the whole Qubes thing if it's just gonna run spyware every time you start FCPX

1 Like

Just google niresh mavericks its fine.

I wouldn't recommend a distro like nieresh. You're better off finding a clean install image, installing the Clover UEFI bootloader and adding the FakeSMC kext. For more information you can look at the OSX-KVM project.

3 Likes

I'm not sire how well that translates to qubes as it uses xen I believe.

agreed, I was just giving our friend here insight into how he would check his install for malicious code :smile:

Clean install image? You mean like a standard unaltered Mac installer dmg or something?

Exactly. Or a raw image of a volume that macOS's createinstallmedia was used on.

1 Like

Thanks for the informative response.

How would I install the UEFI bootloader and add the FakeSMC kext? Also, would a legacy bootloader work?

It's probably easiest if you make a USB installer using createinstallmedia and install Clover to the USB. Then all you have to do is add FakeSMC.kext to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ on the USB's EFI ESP partition. You should then be able to pass the USB drive through to a VM and install macOS.

You could also use a legacy bootloader like Chameleon or Enochs, but Clover seems to be the better option (more support, leverages macOS's native boot.efi, etc.)

Saving the drive as an ISO image and then loading the ISO image into a VM wouldn't work then?

Also, what is ESP?