Quality Router

Hey network people!

My Netgear N150 bricked itself while updating (really badly, I wasn't able to establish a tftp link or anything, so that's gone for good) and now I'm back to using a D-Link "router" that doesn't manage to provide wifi to me standing 5m away.

To say the least, I'm pretty fed up with what I have and what I had.

Now I'm searching for a router that gives me access to its guts when I need it instead of blocking any attempt of doing so by showing me a ridiculously simplified web interface no matter what.

I don't want to spend millions, so a good piece of hardware for a low price would be better than a feature loaded moloch that I'd have to exchange my whole wallet for.

My question is essentially: What options are there that give me low-ish level access and don't cost too much?

I have the Asus N66U. 

It has a butt-ton of features, and I would say a very good interface (which has got better with various firmware updates). It cost me just under £100. Well worth it in my opinion.

I agree, unless you just must have an AC router the Asus N66U is a great choice , I have 2 myself , one at work one at home, used them to replace Linksys routers I was having to constantly reset.

What's your opinion about netgear wndr3700 flashed with dd-wrt? They seem to have a decent amount of power for their price. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Never use wireless, it sucks just plain and simple. I use a shitty old wired router from Linksys and i get awesome speeds.

Sadly, there are usage cases and users where it's needed. It's not like wireless is the main thing I use, but I'm not the only one on the network.

I got a D-link DIR-655 wireless N 300 with all gigabit slots at Goodwill for $5 and it works great. I use wired for real PCs and wifi for tablets & phones ... can't complain.  Shop around.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite. Only get this if you know what you're doing though.