Quality of industry standard 3D packages RANT (Blender is excused)

I love Blender as much as you guys do but can’t use it because client needs.

So I have a year Subscription of both 3ds Max and Maya and V-Ray. I have to say, I am overwhelmed by the amount of bugs and the level of polish I am seeing in the 2019-2021 versions. Shortcuts casually stop working needing to delete the prefs file, several functions just outright not working at all. If I want 3ds Max to automatically refresh textures, that will instantly crash the software, so need to uncheck that in options. And just random constant crashes, whenever I try to do as much as think of doing something out of the ordinary.

And then, the occasional corruption of work files. Ohh man. This has happened three times this year. Saving a file corrupts it, leaving me only the option of trying to merge data from it to a new file, often with severe issues, hoping that the latest auto backup isn’t corrupted as well. Maya has also done this.

How can this be possible?

Also,99% of the reports I send to Autodesk go unanswered. I understand V-Ray and external plugins can be to blame when using them and that in those cases Autodesk doesn’t really need to answer. But that doesn’t mean Chaosgroup shouldn’t also take a good look in their bugs.

Comparing to other apps such as music composition software, Logic Pro, Mac software and such, I feel that pro 3D apps are the worst of all.

Actually have been wondering could it be that the fact that I am using Ryzen is the problem? If that would be so, then it would make every bit of sense to switch to Intel like immediately for me.

1 Like

2 things

1. software is hard
  2. every software company looks to be going “agile” and focusing on crapping out some “feature upgrade” every year rather than focusing on quality
3 Likes

Maybe laziness and complacency resulting from basically owning the market?

Hate to say it but all of that sounds like bad overclocking to me. Especially RAM errors.

Did you set a XMP profile? Go back to default, see if it is still that bad.

Interesting, I do have XMP profile set on, 64GB running at 3000Mhz.
However I am not seeing similar crashes in Substance suite or Blender, and also almost no Windows BSODs. Should the overclocking be the issue wouldn’t it manifest in also other instability than only Autodesk apps?

I used to play around with basic modelling back in the day when Generals/CnC3 were big with modding roughly 10 years ago. I can confirm that 3dsmax was a pile of crashes and bugs across multiple versions then too, including 7, 8, 9, and 2011, 2012. New versions only sometimes fixed past bugs, and always introduced new ones, even though all I was doing was playing around with basic bitch geometry and skinning. I learned to save-as at a completely psychotic frequency, incrementing the number at the end. One scene I had was up past 45 versions. This was before my use of a NAS and ZFS.

It astounds me to this day why it’s been considered a standard.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. If I am like doing one thing at the time, pushing polys only without touching animation, simulation, I can go days without a crash. But whenever I start to do something which involves multiple workflows or external plugins, the stability goes out of the window.
Strangely I also had issue where Edit Poly crashed so I had to use Edit Mesh which didn’t crash. It seems like Max has a lot of legacy code for compatibility reasons.

One thing that I have to give Max credit is it’s ability to deal with a very large scenes. It is these situations when we really don’t have choice, I have not had success with Blender even opening large data like that, so there is some robustness.

I just wonder do I have some issue with my computer or is my memory overclocking causing any of this instability.

@Zavar and I were just talking about this yesterday.

Seemingly anything Autodesk is a mess right now. Aside from maybe AutoCAD itself. But Inventor is a mess, 3ds Max is a mess, Maya is a mess, Eagle is a mess.

3 Likes

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. It’s definitely not something exclusive to Ryzen - I ran into the exact same bugs using the i7 workstation at my old work.

Most of the problems I run into are down to doing too many things at once. Normally running interactive renderer at the same time as editing materials (you’d think that would be a relatively stable use-case, considering the necessity of it). Other times I get crashes without any kind of warning (no opportunity to save first) while working with heavy meshes (normally step imports), or doing cloth sim. Most of the time I find collapsing the modifier stack helps with this, but that can really mess with your workflow.

The modelling weirdness you’re specifically getting leads me to believe that you’ve got a plugin that’s messing with something. I’ve only had a file corrupted once before, and it was because of my being heavy handed with floorgenerator.

1 Like

Oh sounds very familiar…

Would there be any possibility that my standard XMP profile causes at least some of these?

Possibly. You can use Windows’ inbuilt tools to check for bad memory.

1 Like

Hmm, where have I experienced that before?
I have also seen, heared and read similar complaints from EVERY other sector that uses software.
My dad complaining about SAP being bullshit, this guy complaining about Sibelius, Editor from LTT about Adobe PremierPro, Or Photoshop, every bug report forum for every video game…
You get the idea.

TL;DR QA is optional, and the customers won’t change to better software.

3 Likes

Very true. We just need to live with it somehow.

About the RAM, according very extensive tests and no BSODs, I came to conclusion that my RAM is fine even running at 3000Mhz. But rather those are software issues.
The way how the crashes happen seem to point towards VRAY, now that I got the latest hotfixes I see improvement which is delightful.

AutoCAD user here. It’s a hot mess for anything 3D. That’s why most engineers are only using it for 2D.

Revit is ok I guess but guess what it’s also not for… You guessed it, 3D modelling.

2 Likes

I use it for 2D only as well, otherwise things can get a little funky.

It’s the cheap seats, but I use Sketchup believe it or not - poor workflow but it can put a little fun into working sometimes…and I need that, cos construction ain’t fun! (Although it is interesting).

I have no reliability issues, SU just says theres an issue, but I just press the button to fix and carry on.

1 Like