Quake: Champions - Beta Sign Ups Open!

"Welcome to the Quake Champions Closed Beta Test" is the subject line. Email came from [email protected]

1 Like

I have been waiting for hours and I am only down to -

Your Place In Line: 671

Its like the deli counter at the food stores.

You'd think they'd have more open spots... at 632 but I mean cmon, poor preparation on their part imo.

1 Like

It took me about an hour to go from #1036 to in game. That was around 5 o'clock. But hey, remember it's a Closed BETA. I've been in BETAs where I barely got to play at all. Just keep in mind, they want feeback in exchange for getting to play early.

Been there, done that.

I bailed on the last beta I was in (MechWarrior Online) because I dared to offer constructive feedback and hunt for bugs. The devs loved me, but the horde hated me for daring to do my job of critically assessing the game.

ooohhh an NDA. so scary. I'm not in the beta so I have nothing to fear. I hear a lot about it through the grapevine. Apparently there there are crates. Welcome to pleb level everyone.

boo hoo

get over it.

implying crates will have nothing to do with classic mode. prepare for overwatch 2! I'd ask you if classic mode is in the game...but you might get banned from a beta! Oh no!

We can Neither confirm nor deny the presence of a crates here tonight!

Fun game. Runs well.
Too bad I suck at Quake.
2 frags + 26 deaths
I don't think I will be playing too much.

1 Like

rumor mill is that damage is tuned very low for the beta. hang in there!

Wanted to change some settings had to restart... 523 in queue.

2 Likes

are we playing the same game? It was a laggy PoS mess. I had settings on min with a 970 and it was stuttering like crazy. I was like oh, did they implement clips on the machine gun when it stopped firing in the middle of combat? no, its just the lag.

the machine gun and the sniper rifle do more damage while using sights... This isn't Quake...

Classes need to be unlocked, so unequal playing field. you can use currency you earn from playing matched to unlock them for a day, but to perma unlock them it looks like it requires a premium currency.

I will say the sound quality was superb.

I had settings on High + Ultra textures with a 970 and it was getting over 100 fps like crazy.

interesting take

5 Likes

so when you ran into another player there was no crazy teleporting? It was more a statement that my hardware wasn't underpowered and causing the stuttering. Not that you need something better than 970 to get a solid frame rate. I think most of it was poor netcode.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-geforce-381-65-whql-driver-out-optimized-for-quake-champions-adds-windows-10-creators-update/

I have the Windows 10 Creators Update and the new driver. Are we comparing apples to apples? Will updating help you? I dunno.

Due to NDA I won't say much here, but once the game started I was much more concerned with my bad performance than any performance issues with the software.

I've had 1 or 2 matches where my ping was just crazy high and/or there was some serious teleporting/rubberbanding going on. But most matches have been smooth except for a few 1-2 second screen freezes. Over all considering very first night of closed beta, was pretty smooth for me.

i'm using windows 7, didn't have the latest driver update, but just updated and played another match. Same issues. I think a lot is netcode. I have like 65 ping which isn't great, and but not horrible and i think the game's netcode is just not very forgiving for higher latencies. I mean, it doesn't make sense for my fps to drop and to see obvious porting whenever I collide with someone. I could see maybe a little bit of it being FPS related because i have a 144hz screen, so maybe i have like 90 fps and it doesn't seem smooth because its lower than my refresh rate. How are you measuring framerate? FRAPS? I use CAM, isn't working in Quake Champions. Nvidia's FPS counter isn't working either. I don't see any option to show frame rate in options? I forgot to even check if there is a console and console commands. But also like, there was obvious skipping with like the lightning gun ish weapon where there were pauses of it stopped working, where me lowering the settings has clearly reduced it but not eliminated it.

Also, shotguns seem OP as fuck right now in deathmatch. I was trying to avoid them because shotgun is such a noob weapon, but in today's match i went shotgun hard, and got first place by over 10 kills. Its stupid.