Quake: Champions - Beta Sign Ups Open!

All signed up. I saw that the closed beta was happening in the coming weeks but imagined the invites had already been sent out. I'm keeping my fingers closed!

1 Like

Even worse...
No future architecture either...

.... well shit. :(

Anyway, it still looks like Overquake and judging by Doom it won't come to linux natively.
So that it already has two strikes against it.

It's sad, but also fascinating really to watch what Bethesda is doing...
Hearthstone became insanely popular, they started working on a card game. Nobody cares...
Overcrotch became insanely popular, they started working on their own version and slapped the Quake name on it. Kinda fits, but ...
All that after WoW became insanely popular and they did TES Online, that many people are still pooping on top of...

ITT Internet people take a giant steamy shit all over a videogame they have never played.

We get it... you don't like "champions" class part.

2 Likes

Here is my issue, and i will be as honest as possible.
I never liked doom. I loved Quake 2 and god knows i loved Quake 3...
Quake Champions have nothing to do with any of them, looks exactly like the new doom, and i don't care about the new doom. I want Quake. If i want Overwatch i will play Overwatch.
ID can prove me wrong. QC can really be great. But for now, from what i have seen, it's a rushed product to try and capitalize on Overwatches sux ass and using a recognizable name as a sales magnet.
Aside from that: Pattern recognition...
Wow - ESO...
Hearthstone - Whatever the name was supposed to be...
Now Overwatch...

I would love Quake to be amazing again. I don't see the possibility fitting in the pattern, nor any signs of it.

I'm sorry. I want to be excited. I just don't trust Bethesda.

Looks like they are going to tease us with periodic "Champion" trailers. Below is the 1st of many. I will update as they come out.

Nyx

inb4 (and after) "I hate classes". Good, go play something else.

IDK, the game looks more like UT than Quake IMO.

I think what it really comes down to is game modes and map design. It isn't difficult to make guns equal to or better than the original quake, and the same goes with movement. Whats difficult is making a game mode and maps that can appeal to old school quake players and new players a like.

Of all the mainstream FPS franchises that have ever existed, I can not think of any two that are as similar to each other as the Quake and Unreal franchises are. It's only natural that they are going to look like similar games, so I'm not sure why this this is relevant. And I really just spent like 20 minutes trying to prove myself wrong on this.

And this is what I wish everyone would try to keep in mind. Like it or not, Quake is a large game, made by a large company, looking for large profits. They are not going to make a game that only appeals to old Quake players. So, If that's what you want, then you can go play Quake 1, 2, 3, 4, or similarly ...you can go get fucked, because you're not getting an oldschool Quake game anytime soon. (not directed you or anyone else @Atatax).

I would also like to point out how I am somewhat of a hypocrite, as I am a huge Star Trek fan, yet I hate the new Star Trek movies. All the movies did was try and appeal to both new and old audiences. The difference is, I watched the new Star Trek movies before I decided I didn't like them.

I'm fine with that. Why should it carry the name then?
It's the same thing they do with Pray. It's going to be a good game, no doubt. Why is it called Pray? Why is this called Quake? My guess is to appeal to old school quake fans, that will not be getting a quake game.

Prey*

Because it's developed by id, and id wanted to make a new Quake game.

Because the original Prey* game was not a huge hit, and the original planned sequel was in development hell for years which gave it a bad stigma... so they are rebooting it into something else since they own the trademark.

Exactly.

2 Likes

IDK, the problem is they're using an IP with a strong meaning for oldschool fps players and from what I have seen they have been trying to market it as largely targeted towards those oldschool fps players. If they don't deliver on that, there is going to be a shit storm and it will be 100% their fault and frankly with their recent Wolfenstein and Doom iterations, I don't have high hopes as while they have been well received by the gaming media, they clearly aren't faithful to their previous versions.

welcome to every Star Citizen thread to date.
Edit: rest of the post isn't attacking you, i'm speaking generally.

the comment i'll make as an outsider to the series is: this seems like a franchise that people who have played the older games would rather "noobs" not be able to access it very easily, and they'd just prefer a Quake game with updated stuff. which is fair cop i suppose. i have no issue with people getting the game they want, especially when the series doesn't interest me one bit. but you have to cop to the fact devs desperately want new players. that's just a fact of the industry. i can sympathise with the idea of someone ruining your favourite franchise [Fallout 4 Sims shit, for me], but it's probably going to happen.

Edit II: i will also say that i really really enjoyed being surprised by Doom 2016. everyone i knew was groaning about it looking like just another Crysis, but it came out really well defined for what it was. you, lone bloke, against 67 flavours of abominable Hell monsters which you get to punch most of in the fucking face.

1 Like

The problem is not that it will be different or more accessible to new players. The problem is they're taking a game that still has a live community, saying oh yeah, we're going to cater to you guys, and most likely, they're not going to be faithful to the community. Imagine if from software took Dark Souls after the original and was like oh yeah, we're going to make a new one just as difficult as the original and then if they made a 2nd one that was as difficult as your average run of the mill RPG. That is what is most likely going to happen with Quake Champions. Oh yeah, we're going to make this true to the skill of Quake and Quake III and then its going to be as skillful as the average modern FPS, going to be a regular Overwatch.

i understand, man. all i was saying was, people had to have known they were going to toss SOMETHING in there to try to attract new people and/or change it up. whether that was totally against the larger community expectations or not is a fair point, but still. part of what makes Quake daunting to the point of disinterest for me is the fact that you had 90's graphics and low polygon count stuff flying all over the screen at 120+fps, and BACK THEN, game devs didn't exactly care if games were easy or not. it was git gud or die in most cases. games industry being what it is now, that wouldn't fly. you'd only be netting Quake vets and other FPS players who enjoy fiercely competitive play. that's like opening a hotdog stand outside of a PETA office building because you know there's 6 people in there who aren't vegans.

i'm not questioning whether you're wrong to not like it, but surely we're all pasted being shocked by what game devs will pull for more cash.

1 Like

I'd say you're about half right here. Yes, they have been marketing the game to "old school" veterans the Quake series, but I wouldn't say "largely". I'd say it's just something you have to do if you're going to make a Quake game.

They definitely have been largely marketing the game towards competitive FPS players with all the "120 hz developed for PC 1st!" talk. It just so happens that the competitive FPS scene sorta started with Quake, so it's kinda easy to marry the two together when really they are two separate things.

Today's competitive FPS scene is very different than it was even back when Quake 4 came out. The market is vast and wide with tons of different types of competitive FPS, and with Overwatch being the newest-ish top-ish competive FPS atm that makes it easy to point to as a blueprint for the newer features in Quake Champions. But before Overwatch came out, everyone compared it to Team Fortress too. Now, while they have aspects that are similar, I would NOT say that Overwatch copied Team Fortress. I would however say that Blizzard recognized where the competitive FPS market was going, and decided to try and capitalize on that. (and abandon the dying and expesnive to maintain MMO market, hence why they reused "Project Titan" assets in Overwatch).

It's no different with Quake Champions.

See... I don't know where you people get this stuff. This sounds like it was written by a mad man who thinks the world is out to kill all the good games. You can not possibly have ANYTHING to back up these claims. I know, because I have been soaking up ever single little bit of information about this game I can, as it is one of my favorite and most played game franchises of my life.

Like @Goblin said, I get it. No one likes to see their favorite nostalgia thing get changed into something other than their ideal version of said nostalgia thing. To those people I say... stop being unreasonable, and... Quake Champions looks like... a new Quake game that is a little different from Quake 4, which was a little different Quake 3, which was a little different from Quake 2, which was a little (actually a lot) different from Quake 1.

The commercial success of the dark souls franchise begs to differ

also its super shitty to incorrectly paraphrase me like that.

i only did that because a giant wall of text that amounts to "making it different", can be summed up by the words "making it different". i wasn't trying to be rude.

1 Like

just stop

Just our of curiousity... Any original Quake III players here from the 1.29, 1.30 era.. dreamcast etc..?

Quake III gamer tag: xstatic or [xstatic]iH