QNAP TS-2483XU-RP / Trouble with TrueNAS

Hi everyone,
I am reaching out to see if anyone can help me with a QNAP NAS issue I’ve been having.
I have a 24 bay QNAP NAS that I am trying to install and configure TrueNAS Scale on. I’ve got TrueNAS installed and working on an M.2 SSD, but the NAS doesn’t seem to kick all the HDD bays online until after QTS boots up. When I turn on the NAS, HDD bays 5-8 and 21-24 come online instantly, but all the other bays never turn on unless I boot into QTS, so TrueNAS never actually sees all 24 drives.
I’m assuming something in the QNAP kernel triggers and causes the remaining HDD bays to come online, but I’ve yet to figure out exactly what.
Has anyone else ran into this issue with QNAP NAS units before? And if so, what can I do to fix this, so I don’t have to use QTS?
Thanks,

• Max
1 Like

I have three TS-1263U-RP on outdated QTS (out of support) so good luck with this. Crack the issue and I’ll have TrueNAS on there in moments.

I suspect it is some custom boot code embedded on the MoBo, but never looked at it in depth.

1 Like

Try and contact support, I’ve updated one not long ago to QTS 5 with no issues. Or you can try and update manually from support page.

1 Like

Not sure how to do it on freebsd but this is a normal sas thing.

All drives starting at once is hard on the PSU.

For trunas scale something like

camcontrol start pass0

Will probably fix it up? Use can control to list devices and then start each one and keep an eye on kernel messages.

Then that can be added to the startup script.