QNAP releases a 10GbE Thunderbolt 3 NIC

I’m just wondering if @wendell will pair 2 10GbE LANs on Mobos with onboard 10GbE and Thunderbolt together, like some of his Ryzen/Threadripper boards. ALL the bandwidth.

1 Like

Rather it be USB3.1 Gen 2 but I guess we gotta start somewhere

Aquantia® AQC107 WOOOO

requires some hacking and only i think gigabyte has the header onboard

Which is why I was speaking to @wendell directly. Cause he got Thunderbolt working on X399.

I mean TR has a ton of PCIE could just throw some intel X540T2 cars in it if he need more

Well, if he has EXTRA THICC GPUs, and only has room for a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller, he can add NICs with GPUs in Crossfire/SLI/NVlink.

TB still takes up a PCIE slot

You’re forgetting Thunderbolt can daisy chain. It’s like PLX built into the cable protocol.

correct, but you are still limited to what like x4 pcie lanes, and what woudl you be connecting over TB that you woudl need 10gbe and another thing?

A capture card with daisy chain, a NAS with daisy chain, A Thunderbolt SSD enclosure supporting a NVMe… Externalizing stuff removes the need for riser cables.

If you were maxing the 10gbe it woudl eat a like 1/2 the bandwith, why would you put a NAS in line if you have 10gbe you would run off a remote server running 10gbe as well. Maybe a capture card, but eh. There are usb3.1g2 NVMe enclosure so dont need to use TBolt could just use the ports off the mobo. I get what your saying but its really not worth it and woudl be vary rare to ever want that type of setup except with a laptop and that would not be an X399 Build.

IDK, I just see old Intel PCI-E SSDs or that Optane 900P in there dying to be externalized without using stupidly specific riser cables.

Could use a external gpu TB dock for the pcie ssds

I just see TB3 as the most sensible PCI-E expansion solution, and having a Aquantia NIC as TB3 just makes so much sense if you wanted to do bonded 10GbE for 20GbE for 4K capture to a external SSD RAID over 10GbE.

Doesnt TB3 have some major security issues still?

If you let it be less secure as an option in UEFI, DMA attacks are still a risk. If you have a OS with device authorization (Linux with GNOME Thunderbolt, macOS, and Windows) you can authorize specific devices before they’re allowed to access system memory.

Unfortunately, the Thunderbolt authorization GUI is GNOME only. None of the other DEs have caught onto making a GUI for Thunderbolt authorization.