Return to Level1Techs.com

QEMU Resets When Booting Windows 10 ISO Installation

When trying to boot into the Windows installation iso I have QEMU will reset itself. It’s extremely strange because I initially got QEMU to boot it perfectly fine but I deleted that installation because that was just a test to make sure everything was working properly and I wanted to create a larger virtual hard drive. So far I’ve tried disabling CSM in the bios, downloading another Windows 10 iso and changing my chipset from Q35 to i440FX with no luck. I have also tried downloading a Windows 7 installation and using that but on UEFI it will hang at starting windows and will only boot on SEABIOS.

0 Likes

Windows 7 not booting with OVMF is expected and normal.

When you say reset itself, do you mean the whole host will reboot? Does QEMU crash and re-open? Does it boot part way then reset to the tianocore splash screen? Exactly where does it reset?

0 Likes

You may wanna check out here: Windows 10 1803 as guest with QEMU/KVM, BSOD under install

0 Likes

It will show me the initial TianoCore logo, have a progress bar, give me a prompt to press a key to boot from a CD/DVD, after pressing a key I get the TianoCore logo again and then VM will reset like I had pressed the “force reset” option in virt-manager. Nothing crashes and the VM will not close it just loops back to the initial TianoCore boot screen.

0 Likes

Added a conf file with options kvm ignore_msrs=1 in /etc/modeprobe.d/ and edited my grub to include kvm.ignore_msrs=1 but QEMU is still boot looping.

0 Likes

Just out of curiosity I’ve also tried booting Windows 7 on UEFI with the i440X Chipset, not passing through my GPU at all and Windows 7 boots and installs fine but deleting all the Video hardware in the VM and adding back my GPU it ends up just getting stuck at the starting windows boot again.

0 Likes

Just double checking you updated your initramfs and grub and rebooted after adding ignore_msrs?

0 Likes

I just realized I haven’t been updating initramfs at all during this process. What is the command to update it after you have made changes in the modeprobe.d folder? I am very new to linux.

0 Likes

The basic command is update-initramfs. Run as root or with sudo.

You can do man update-initramfs to see all the available options.

You will probably want update-initramfs -u -k all to update(-u) it for kernel versions(-k) all (all).

You want to update it every time you adjust something with modprobe and modules. It will automatically be updated if needed by apt, so when installing a kernel or packages with kernel modules it will happen automatically.

0 Likes

Ok updated initramfs rebooted but nothing has changed. I suspect it’s because the kernel fails to load the custom cfgs I have in modeprode.d because I get a Kernel Failed to Load Modules error when booting. Hell it’s hard to know which cfg file is causing problems cause like I said I haven’t been updating initramfs this whole time.

0 Likes

Oh, have fun.

systemctl status systemd-modules-load and
journalctl -xe may be of use in diagnossis. Page up and down to go fast through the journalctl log

0 Likes

So the culprit was Failed to find module 'vfio_pci ids=1002:67b1,1002:aac8' I appended out where ever this line was in the vfio.cfg file in my modprobe.d folder, the modules.cfg file and the modules.cfg file in the initramfs-tools folder. Gone was the failed to load modules error but obviously I know something isn’t right with my vfio configs. The cfg file with options kvm ignore_msrs=1wasn’t giving my any sort of error so I decided to boot up virt-manager without passing through my gpu and It still boot looped. I also have kvm.ignore_msrs=1in my grub (and yes I updated both grub and initramfs this time)

0 Likes

Try making another VM or two and trying them with a Linux ISO and the Windows ISO you are using. This will help narrow down if the issue with with QEMU or it’s config or with your VM config.

0 Likes

So Windows 10 will actually give me something if I switch to SeaBios, an error about my processor not being compatible with a 64-bit OS. Kubuntu will refuse to boot on the OVMF firmware just like Windows 10 and also like it it will boot if I switch to SeaBios, Kubuntu won’t give me an error though It actually runs perfectly fine. Could it be a problem with the build of OVMF I have?

0 Likes

Forgot to mention that Windows 10 will only give me an error if I switch my CPU configuration to kvm32, I haven’t been able to try alot of the other CPU configurations because virt-manager will give me an error before boot saying that my CPU doesn’t support various functions. If I just have it set to copy host configuration on my CPU and i’m on SeaBIos it will actually do the same thing that it does when using UEFI, boot loop.

0 Likes

What CPU does the machine have?

0 Likes

It’s a Ryzen 7 1800x.

0 Likes

Don’t expect any Intel cpu configs to work.

Also, the KVM 32 error is probably due to you trying to use a 64-bit windows 10 ISO while KVM32 is x86(32 bit) not amd64 (64 bit).

I am kind of out of ideas here, sorry.

0 Likes

I found out what was wrong, I had my NX CPU features disabled in the BIOS as well as other features. Everything is working fine now and all I got left to do is to get Looking Glass setup and get audio working. Thank you so much you have been extremely helpful throughout all of this.

1 Like