Psycho's Crazy Recipes

That post basically inspired me to start this thread.
Here I will try to explain simply enough how I am cooking the stuff I am cooking.
So every time I cook something weird I will post the recipe with pictures and detailed explanation of how I made it.
I am already spamming MASSIVELY the "Post pictures of what you ate!" thread in the forum, and people seems to be interested in my culinary experiments. So why not share...
2 things i want to say before i start:
1. I am not a professional chef. I have experimented in the kitchen and taught myself cooking. If there are any huge mistakes I make - please, feel free to share what can i improve.
2. I would ask you not to share recipes here. It's a thread I started to share my kitchen successes (or failures)...

So there we go...
I was toying with the idea of starting a YouTube channel about cooking... I lack both the equipment and the kitchen to do that. I can barely support my main YouTube channel with my daily full time job and other stuff...
So thread in the forum it is.

Anyways, I will start and will see where it will end.
I'd love for people to try the recipes and share opinions about them.

7 Likes

001. Chicken Filet and pasta with sauce.

The original idea was rice and gravy-ish type of sauce. Things changed...
So i boiled the chicken fillet in it's entirety with salt, pepper and curry powder...

My original idea was to make rice and vegetables for garnish, but the pasta would boil faster, so I just boiled it with the chicken fillet and all the spices.

After the pasta was cooked, I chopped some garlic and got some vegetable mix ready...

Fried them up with the pasta.

Then I made a standard bechamel sauce with a twist.
The bechamel, being as versatile as it is, i just replaced part of the milk with the chicken bullion, or stock, i am not sure which word is appropriate. That way the sauce have the chicken flavor in it.

I can open an entire forum about the bechamel alone.
Anyways, from here on out, it was easy...
In a plate - a pile of the pasta:

A few slices of the chicken meat:

The sauce and some green celery on top for pure visual effect.

3 Likes

002. Mushroom Omurice

Omurice is simple meal - it's rice inside an omelet. So why not put some mushrooms in?

Onions and garlic, fairly finely chopped...

And of course, rice. Boiled beforehand.

So it's a standard deal. Fry for a few seconds the onions and the garlic with salt, pepper and curry powder, add the mushrooms, fry a bit, add the rice, and since I had some chicken bullion from yesterday, I put some in, and then some milk, just to keep the smooth taste in.

Added some dill, because mushrooms and dill work just fine, and the rest of the ingredients don't really care.

So it's the omelet time. beaten a couple of eggs, put some salt and pepper in and some parsley for the simple reason of color...

Here comes the tricky part, that turns out it was not that tricky...

I should have thought more about the presentation, should have used a green salad leaf or something...
Anyways, it tastes way better than expected, and it actually turned out way better than expected.

3 Likes

003. Pork with Saute Vegetables and Improv Gravy.

Oh well...
Pork, sliced on thin thin slices, something like quarter inch or half cm or something like that...

Seasoned it with salt and pepper, then used some soy sauce. Then i remembered I read somewhere, that sugar is a good marinade for pork... So i put a spoon of sugar in.

I put that to rest and moved to the vegetables.
Carrot (just one), zucchini (small one) and couple potatoes, chopped on large pieces.

Couple days ago i had some leftover chicken bullion. I put the vegies in the bullion and let them boil for a while. That will allow the chicken flavor to get in the vegetables and the vegetable flavor to get in the bullion.
While that was happening i added some flour to the pork. You can use starch as well, but i have flour at hand almost constantly, so yeah...
Mixed it up, to the point where it all became like a breading to the meat...

Hot oil, frying pan, you know what to do...

Once done, use the same pan and oil for the vegetables...

All the flavors will mix in...
Then I got some milk and mixed it up with flour...

Added it to the boiling chicken vegetable bullion and made an improv crappy gravy...

That's it...

At the end, it turned out way worse than expected. The pork shrunk massively. The vegies soaked up all the chicken flavor, so the sauce was kinda meh...
If i have to improve stuff - i would probably add bullion cubes to strenghten up the flavor of the chicken in the sauce and probably use chicken meat instead of pork.

PS: Oh, and beer. Not Heineken, but still beer...

4 Likes

Hungry now :slight_smile: Cooking is all about experimenting.

1 Like

This is a plus point IMO.

I live with a trained chef, she is so possessive about HER kitchen that I have no chance to improve on my basic cookery skills.

I am only wanted in kitchen as kitchen porter to wash the many dishes. Not the first trained chef i have shared living space with. They all seem to require 3 items to prepare one element of a meal. I prefer my approach of using least amount of kitchen utensils as possible, because I was cleaning up after myself

3 Likes

This is relevant to my interests.

3 Likes

Ha!
Thanks for bring back a memory. My Grandpa was a chef. But Grandma never let him in her kitchen because he would make a huge mess and expect the crew to clean up after him. He always tried to sneak in for a taste, followed by commentary. One time I remember her chasing him out of her kitchen hitting him with a wooden spoon.

@psycho_666 Thank you for this thread. I plan to try some of your recipes soon. My mouth is watering in anticipation of your next post.

1 Like

I honestly have no idea what to do next... You know, when you can do everything in the world, you blank out... May be the Orange chicken... May be the Chinese fried rice I tend to make as a garnish to the orange chicken... May be something traditional, like musaka or banitsa or something...
First I'll have to fix my dental issues, and then there will be back to recipes. So a few days pause I guess...

oooh, traditional dishes sound cool...

1 Like

004. Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms and Mayo.

So I was too lazy and tired today to do anything special, so i did something fast and easy...
Some mushrooms, that was about to go bad, the mayo, that I got for god knows what reason, but don't have a proper use for, 3 eggs, onions and garlic.

So the easiest way was to fry the onions, garlic and mushrooms with salt and pepper

Then just add the eggs and steer... I was so lazy, i didn't even bring myself to make proper egg flakes, so I just poor the eggs in...

After that I added some parsley (for color, that got lost completely) and the mayo.

If you aren't as lazy as me, this thing can take a couple extra veggies, such as green peas or carrots or whatever. I just wanted something fast, and there I was.

Love this thread!
With frozen chicken fillets I found about a 4 min on the "timed defrost" on my microwave is about perfect, 2 min each side. It is still barely frozen which make cutting it up much easier. 2 min in the frying pan then the veggies and it is perfect.
Added to rice-a-roni with a salad I can make dinner for dau in 20 min and not feel guilty:)

1 Like

005. Tarator.

It's a seasonal summer cold refreshing soup. Some people have it as a drink. It's really easy and fast to make and it is really good in the hot summer.
So here it is.

Those are the ingredients.
We start with the garlic. A lot of garlic. The usual recipe is the garlic, made to a paste, with dill and a bit of salt. I like garlic chunks, so I just crushed it a bit and chopped it up.

Then I added some dill and moved to the cucumber. I used this:

So I added some vegetable oil (in my case - sunflower oil, but I guess you could use olive as well) and mixed it all up, so all the flavors can mix properly.

Now the yogurt... It's not really yogurt. We AFAIK are the only country in the world, to make something like that. This is what we literally call sour milk.
It is way thicker than yogurt:

But once you steer it up a bit it becomes nicely yogurt like...
So I throw it into the mix, steer it up a bit and add the same quantity of water, 1:1 with the yogurt. Cold water. Steer a bit more... Done...

Now, people usually add walnuts in it. I don't like it with walnuts, so i don't. But the traditional recipe is having walnuts. Also many people like to drink this thing. For that to be achievable properly, the cucumber needs to be more finely grated...

Currently the cucumbers are way to large to be able to just drink it.
On top of that, if you use yogurt, and my guess is you won't be able to get your hands on bulgarian one, then add less water. You don't want it too watery. It still have a creamy consistency.

Anyways, try it out during the hot summer. It's nicely refreshing, especially with some Uzo or Mastika...

3 Likes

OK, here is something more complex...

006. Sausage Cake.

So my mother found the recipe and since then I am in love with this non desert desert.

It starts like a standard cake recipe - 4 eggs, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar...

The I add the yogurt from yesterday, mixed with some baking powder.

Then we have the flour. 2 and something tea cups. All you want is the batter to be properly thick - thicker than pancake, but still batter and nowhere near dough.

Then we have the rest of the stuff...
I use a sausage, that is more like a wurst, and not really what the western world know as sausage, add some white and yellow cheese, dice cut...

With all that mixed up - a pinch of pepper and savory are in order.

Then we have the standard baking procedure...
Oiling a baking form of choice, and since i don't really have a choice, Pikatchu, I choose you, then covering it in flour, so it sticks to the walls, you want the walls covered, so the cake doesn't get stuck to them. Pour the batter in and throw in the oven - 170 Celsius, until it's done.

And there you are... Having a sausage cake...

OK, Aftereffects...
1. Put the thing in a cold oven. Heated oven will crust it outside while the inside will remain raw.
2. I have reached this effect as well, since my oven don't have temperature control and it was too hot. In that case you can try and slow down the outside burning by covering it with alumin(i)um foil or something. I didn't, because I was lazy...
3. Now, the easiest way to test cake, if it is done baking is, poke it with a wooden stick, literally. If the stick comes out dry, then the cake is done. If it is covered in batter, then it obviously needs more baking. The issue with this one is all the melted cheese inside. Still the hint stands.

Anyways, I strongly recommend you try this one. It's one of my personal favorites.

PS: Can someone help me here? When I google "sausage" I get shown all kinds of stuff, from hot dogs, throuh mini sausages, that people get for breakfast all the way to the wurst like ones. In my country we have a different name for each and every type of sausage. Is sausage just a general term, and there are different names like wurst and hotdog, or what, because there is a huge huge range of food inside the sausage category...

1 Like

I am from Connecticut, USA and back there Polish Kielbasa is very popular. In Ohio they call it smoked sausage, but German Bratwurst is more popular here.

I am definitely going to try the egg and mushroom dish. One of my favorite quick and easy dishes is a mashed potato mixed with 2 scrambled eggs and butter, but your recipe sounds like it would go well over mashed potatoes.

1 Like

Pretty much. Sausage more or less just means it is a tube of meat, specific types of sausage are generally called by their native (?) name or where the style originated, at least in the United States. Like hot dogs, bratwurst, kielbasa, and chorizo are all sausage, but they are very different types.

EDIT: Dammit, sniped by Positron.

1 Like

007. Soy Sauce Chicken and Mushrooms

So this is a thing we served in the last restaurant i used to work at. It's really easy to make and extremely tasty.

So let's start with the mashed potatoes...

Peeled and chopped roughly, boiled until ready with some salt an pepper.
When done - take them out of the water, add some spices, start mashing. If it gets too dry - add milk. Keep mashing until it becomes smooth and there aren't any large chunks... Then you can add some butter, but I forgot. I remembered just now as I type this, that i could have added butter...

Meanwhile - chop a chicken meat into a bite sized pieces. Mix it up with salt and pepper, and let it rest...

Chop the mushrooms.

OK... Heat up the frying pan with some oil in it. While the oil is heating, put some flour over the meat and roll it all up, until all meat pieces are covered with the flour.

One by one put the pieces in the hot oil. Don't throw them all together, they will stick if you do.

Fry basically until done.
Add the mushrooms...

Some people eat raw mushrooms, so fry for as long as you want... Then add some soy sauce and steer to the point, where everything is covered in it.

There you go...
Plate as you wish...
I love mashed potatoes, so I put it on the side, although some people may use it as a bed for the chicken.
I added some chopped parsley for color more than anything...

OK, there are a couple things i want to mention about this meal...
1. The original recipe is chicken thigh, but i use breast...
2. If you use breast, I recommend you add a pinch of baking soda with the salt and pepper. A professional chef have mentioned, that baking soda in the marinade makes the chicken breast juicier. Otherwise it just gets dry.
3. You can use a bed of rice, if you don't feel like making mashed potatoes, but I chose to mash.
4. The potatoes eat salt like nobody's business... Put some while you are boiling and then add some while mashing. Keep in mind some soy sauces are salty, so you may not want to put much if any salt on the meat...

Anyways, if you have some mashed potatoes or white rice or something, you can do that meal in less than 20 minutes... It's absolutely great despite it's simplicity.

1 Like

Yeah I learned this the hard way :smiley:
Rice also annihilates salt just like potatoes and it's better to put it in the water while cooking. Also, turmeric or curry are also good for adding flavor to chicken.

1 Like

Rice drinks water like potatoes eat salt... The same way mushrooms drink fat and oil... Rice doesn't eat nowhere near the amount of salt potatoes does...

They are, but the soy sauce kinda flavors the meal enough. I have tried marinating the chicken with stronger marinade and not just salt and pepper, and honestly all other flavors are overpowered by the soy sauce.

Tonight I will share with you another chicken meal. It's the most complex recipe you will find in this thread. It requires crazy amount of work and preparation.
Hardcore...

1 Like

OK, the most complex recipe ever made ever is:

008. Beer Potatoes with Chicken.

Here are the ingredients:

So let's start with the potatoes.
After you peel them, what you want are wedges. Just potato wedges.

Then you drink a beer...

Then you slice the chicken meat any way you like. I just make a few slices...

Then you drink some more beer...

Now, what I usually do is put them all, potatoes and meat in a baking tray, mix them up with salt, pepper and savory and add some sunflower oil.

Now, refill your beer...

And start poring beer over the potatoes to the point, where most of it is covered with the liquid. You can add water if the beer is too precious of a liquid.

Put in an oven, and check in about 30 minutes.

Couple notes about the dish:
1. Cooking with beer is not really about the alcohol. It's more about the ingredients in the beer, than anything else.
2. The easiest way to check if potatoes are cooked is to poke them with a fork. If the fork goes in the potato - its done. Raw potato will not allow the fork in at all...

1 Like