Psycho_666 game project... again

Thanks dude…
I can go in and start piling up features no problem, but I want to make the drag and drop system robust before diving deeper…
I have couple ideas for workarounds, but I’m at work and I’m stuck just thinking about it…

2 Likes

Uuuugghhhh.

That’s the worst feeling ever bro. Knowing that you want to be home and doing something that you want to do, but you can’t because you have to be at work/somewhere else.

I know the feels bro.

But at least this way you can think about a whole bunch of things to do for when you get home.

2 Likes

Right…
This entire day that’s all I’ve been thinking about. And I think I have a solution.
I will give up.
Basically I will change the initial idea.
I will make a small header, which will be used to drag and drop the banner.
On the other hand I will use the fact, that the “camera” moves my mouse in the specific dungeon to add extra gameplay elements, since I will be able to click on stuff in the dungeon.
So basically I gave up on trying to fix the issue and turned the negative into a positive.
So proud of myself…
New update sometime tomorrow.

1 Like

You go bro!

2 Likes

Goalkeeper moral support puppy to the rescue! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

He is WAY too nice almost to the point of Canadian…
Are you Canadian @Goalkeeper?

2 Likes

2 Likes

DAY 11 and 12…

Goal 1: Finally fix the drag and drop thing. That will take some time since I have to rework the entire banner window thing. But that’s OK. It should actually help me out later on.

So I made the header sprite…
Don’t laugh, it’s a place holder.
That basically is the handle, that will be used to drag the banner. So:

moving the banner to different dungeon:

Moving to a third dungeon:

Yeah, the little stick guy is flying in the air… I will do some work later on to fix it’s positioning so it will look good. But basically I just relocated all the drag and drop code into the small header and just drew the rest. The header is controlling all…
So Goal 1 - completed.

Goal 2: setting up actual; dungeon database, so I can make the guy not fly in the air.

There we go…
Well, it’s jolly complicated, so let’s start from … the middle.

//array setup 
for(i=0;i<3;i++)
    {
    for(j=1;j<3;j++)
        {
        dungeon[i,j]=0;
        }
    }

//dungeon setup in an array
dungeon[0,0]=obj_dungeon_0;
dungeon[1,0]=obj_dungeon_1;
dungeon[2,0]=obj_dungeon_2;

//dungeon backgrounds set in an array
dungeon[0,3]=spr_forest_bg;
dungeon[1,3]=spr_wall_bg;
dungeon[2,3]=spr_hillls_bg;

ini_open("Settings.ini");
h_res=ini_read_real("resolution","horisontal",1280);
v_res=ini_read_real("resolution","vertical",768);
ini_close();

//generating dungeon locations on the world map
for(i=0;i<3;i++)
    {
    dungeon[i,1]=irandom_range(sprite_get_width(spr_banner),h_res-sprite_get_width(spr_banner));
    dungeon[i,2]=irandom_range(v_res/2,v_res-sprite_get_height(spr_banner));
    instance_create(dungeon[i,1],dungeon[i,2],dungeon[i,0]);

//generating the crawlable dungeon location
    dungeon[i,4]=view_hview[0]+(i+1)*sprite_get_height(obj_dungeon_ctrl.dungeon[i,3])+i*8;
    }

This is the creation code in a controller object, that stores a small array with all needed data for each dungeon - what object it represents, where it’s located on the main screen so the player can see it, where it is drawn in the room outside of the player view, so we can send the hero over there, etc etc.
As the game features grow so will the code in that object. Here later on I will store enemy types, found in each dungeon and loot, found in each dungeon and a lot of other stuff… So whenever I need any information I call in this object and just take the data from here.

Goal 2 - complete.

There is a small bug I will fix next time. I need one extra variable and I will be able to do whatever I want with the dungeon system. But for now that will be that…

Next time I don’t know what I will do… Will check my goal list and see where I am right now…

3 Likes

DAY 13
Goal: I just bug tested and cleaned bugs.
I know, boring, but I want to make this thing solid before I move forward and start piling up mechanics.

For a start I noticed sometimes the hero doesn’t properly change dungeons. I know what the issue is and resolving it means simply adding a single variable.
In the hero object I just add “dungeon” variable that changes and moves the hero wherever he needs to be.
It weirdly works only sometimes.
I would have to look deeper into that, but I’m going to let it go for now. I think with the eventual world generation I will clear the possibility of those things happening again.
For now I’m gonna leave it at that…

2 Likes

DAY 14 - 18

No, I haven’t been lazying around.
I got miself into a 5 days game jam and ended up making this:

5 Likes

That’s pretty cool. A complete game!
I can’t seem to find the rhythm to save myself.

2 Likes

It could easily be the programmer’s fault…
What I would suggest is, if you miss the rhythm multiple times in a row, stop, let some cycles pas and try again.
Even I lose the rhythm and I made the thing.

Yeah, i try and look for the flashing border, instead of trying to match the beat. But I am also a casual gamer!

I spent 2 of those 3 days matching the flashing bar with the music…

How did you do it? Figure out the BPM on average for the song, or do you have a big array of pause and flash timings that plays in sync with the music?

Basically timing it roughly with my eyes and ears…
The game logic of game maker is tied to the framerate, and the framerate is 60 (I can change it, but 60 is OK). So I basically roughly estimate the cycles the beat takes (level 1 is 38, level 2 is 34, level 3 is 28) and test. Every 5-6 beats or so there is a slight shift, because the song is not perfect 38 cycles, so I adjust by adding an extra cycle in the flash. It’s not perceptible by the player. But it tunes back the rhythm.
Just to be sure, whenever the music ends, i loop it again and restart the entire flashing algorithm.

That shouldn’t matter…

This style of game will work the best if you make the music to fit the rhythm, not the other way around, but since I am shit at art (of any kind) I am stuck trying to set the rhythm to the music…

Fun fact - you have something like 15 cycles window to hit the button, which is supposed to be a quarter of a second, but I think the thing buggs out and the window is actually smaller.

3 Likes

Right.
I gave miself a couple days rest.
No matter if I like to admit it or not, I crunched a bit for the jam, so now I took a couple days away. I’m going back as soon as tomorrow afternoon.
I kinda forgot where I am with the game, but at the same time I know what I wanted to do, so I’ll just do it…
C U All Tomorrow.

3 Likes