PSU to go in my new gaming pc

Hi, I wonder if someone can help my, I am building a new pc for Gaming, Uni work etc and these are my parts:

i7 4790k
h100i GTX
16gb DDR3
MSI z97s Krait gaming
GTX 980 ti
250gb SSD
1 tb HDD
Define r5

I was going to get the RMi 750 w PSU for its modular designa and 80plus gold standard. Is this a good PSU for my build? Would anyone recommend anything else is it is not? Also, is this motherboard good? I am not over clocking so just want a reliable board that will serve me a good few years.

Many thanks in advance

get some gold/silver plated 750W; don't go for strange brands.

I personally would take enermax, or corsair.

personally i'd take plat

600W or above, the photon series is pretty good for the money

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-arc650

The RM750i is very good choice. I have an an RM1000i and I am very happy with it. You could also get a HX750 which costs slightly more than the RMi series but is 80+ platinum.

Get 80+ gold/platinum 750>
I'd take a 850 just in case of upgrades and also I dont like upgrading my psu. Gold is totally fine too btw so if I were you I'd probably get the corsair rm850, some fractal or coolermaster V850.

Could I use a RM 650 as I don't plan on SLI or overclocking and its also 80 plus gold?

650 watts should be fine for a i7 4790k and 980TI

RM 650 is inaudible for what you will use.
I have a similar PC in terms of power draw (i7 haswell, gtx 770). It never goes past 50% usage so the fans are always off.
I highly recommend it.

The only downside is that you pay a bit more for the brand instead of better quality components (some people shun Corsair for not using japanese caps). But to the end user none of that really matters. Read the review on Jonnyguru if you're not convinced

Oh and my instant power consumption went down from 150 or so in 2d desktop work to ~100w after switching to this from an 7 year old Enermax 550W 80 plus.
EDIT: good read on PSU efficiency

650w is enough if you'd like to save some cash with room for overclocking. max wattage ive seen ocing is 100w on a 4790k and 400w on a 980ti

Bottom line, anything gold rated is a good psu and 650w+ would be perfect.

Hi, I wonder if someone can help my, I am building a new pc for Gaming, Uni work etc and these are my parts:

i7 4790k
NZXT kraken x31
16gb DDR3
MSI z97s Krait gaming
GTX 980 ti
250gb SSD
1 tb HDD
H440

I am not going to over lock the processor or the video card and won't be going sli

Will 650w be enough

say a EVGA 650w G2 80 plus gold
or rm 650w 80 plus gold suffice

Many thanks

650w is plenty it'll offer overclocking headroom in the future if you ever change your mind.

Which one woud you recommend as it is quite an expensive system and I don't want anything going wrong lol

EVGA or Corsair or something else?

Both are solid units, i have a preference for EVGA but either would be great.

Personally strongly recommend the Corsair RM line, I have the RM850, its great and reliable, gives clean power and supports 0 RPM mode at low usage

So the RM650 over the EVGA

Go with a Corsair PSU in the 600W range.
I would not buy a PSU named after an exploding star.

1 Like

Thats my personal preference, but EVGA is a good brand. the 0 rpm is a great feature

I loled

Am I really the only person thinking about names that way?

1 Like