Psu recommendations

I have now had 3 corsair ax1200i 80 plus platinum power supplies die on me and I am looking for a new one.

I need 778watts to run my system so I am looking for a 900 - 1000 watt psu. My budget is £200. If I can spend less that would be good but not important. A decent psu that hopefully won't die on me is more important.

I was looking at xtx xts 1000w 80 plus platinum or an evga t2 1000w 80 plus titanium (I think, can't remember exact details for this one) or any super flower ones.

Any suggestions and help pointing me what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I have lost all faith in the ax1200i and don't want to risk the 4th one destroying my rig.

SEASONIC SS-1000XP Platinum... Should be less than 150...

Fortron Aurum PT...

Should be similarly priced.
Seasonic are the best, while FSP are seriously underrated. They make way better PSUs than many overpraised and overpriced brands (cough Corsair CX cough) etc. We have bronze Fortrons covering the silver specs, but sold as bronze. We have 80+ covering bronze specs, but just sold as 80+... Fortron are amazingly.
Anyways, I would go for one of those two...

2 Likes

I like the Corsair RM range, they've jacked the warranty from 5 years to 7 recently.
I've sold and used approx 25 or so with no problems, anyone have any experiences with how good corsair are to deal with when it comes to claiming warranty, i haven't had to yet?

I am not using corsair again. Their warranty is great and so is customer service but after 3 of their psu's dying on my I am jumping ship.

The ax series I have been using has a 10 year warranty.

Seasonal were another brand I was looking at. I will check that out later. Thanks

If you have had three PSUs die, maybe you should look into getting an UPS with transient protection etc? Sounds like you have power problems, a nice UPS that can be found second hand on ebay cheaper. Like some of the common APC 2000 VA models, 2000 to have some margin (1500 VA is ~800 Watts). Batteries can be found at any battery shop, they pretty much just have to fit in the UPS chassis. No need to pay APC for their extra expensive batteries for a home UPS (APC warranties etc are ofc nice for business).

Best of the best high power PSUs would probably be the Superflower Leadex Platinum (there is Titanium too ofc). EVGA has those, like the EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-P2-1200-X1
Review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_P2_1200/11.html

Higher tier Seasonic is usually very good, and I agree that FSP (Fortron Source, also makes UPS units) is generally underrated. I'd rather buy a FSP than a low grade Corsair any day in the week. Remember that many brands actually doesn't make any hardware, Corsair is re-branded CWT, Seasonic etc, varies depending on model. I have a 860W Seasonic unit that Corsair has painted black and put stickers on for example.

Edit: The 1200i is made by Flextronics IIRC, the RM line on the other hand is made by CWT (again IIRC). In reviews the RMX PSUs has had excellent ripple suppression, probably thanks to the in-line caps in the cables. I remember though that Delta Electronics did that good without things like that.

1 Like

Seasonic
That is it, nothing more to say.
I am a fan of ThermaltakePSUs but that is just me.

Overrated and overpriced:
EVGA, Corair, Coolermaster

Unsafe brands:
Powercool, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Rocketfish, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Sinan Power, MSi and Powmax

1 Like

I wish Delta Electronics made more PSUs for consumers. Antec is the only (consumer) brand I know of that use Delta stuff.

Jonny Guru looked at the 1300W unit a while ago, it is not a bad PSU by any means.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=374

Antec's HCP-1300 Platinum came just about as close to nailing a
perfect total score as anything else I have ever tested. Thanks to
Delta's legendary build quality, this beast is big, powerful, and as
stable as one of those big barn things you put horses into. Competition?
Only from the Enermax Platimax/Revolution platform. About the only
other companies I can think of that might be able to match this unit
would be Superflower with their Leadex platform or Seasonic. You're
doing pretty well when you're not only keeping up with those two but
beating them at their own game.
The Good:
* better than excellent voltage stability
* excellent ripple suppression
* amazing build quality
* OC Link for all you crypto miners out there
* fully modular

Delta Electronics, Superflower and Seasonic, companies like CWT try but are not really in the same class.

Antec and Seasonic ...

People say check Jonny Guru's website.

I have a Seasonic Platinum 1050 and that is pretty good. It is not the quietest though but you can make it a lot quieter by removing the grill in front of the fan without even voiding the warranty. I switched out the the fan for a PWM Noctua and have that running controlled from the motherboard. But beware, that WILL void the warranty.

I am using the EVGA Super Nova G2 750 for a few years and still happy with it.

Yeah certain EVGA psu´s are pretty decent the G2 and P2 series in particular.

I checked jonnyguru and the ax1200i I have scored 10 for performance and 9.6 overall.

1 Like

Yeah, that Flextronics unit has scored very high in reviews all around. That's why it sounds odd that three units would die, at ~800W loads at that. Makes me think there is an issue with power delivered to the PSU.

Don't get a Corsair CX. According to some people on this sight it will instantly give you cancer and steal your first born.

1 Like

Well, not really, but it will not cure cancer and bring world peace, like it was made to back in the day. There are better options for similar price.

I have been thinking about a ups for a long time, when I get a chance I will look into them

Seasonic - There is no other option..

Rebranded Delta units are definitely an option, they rival seasonic at some wattage's and beat them at others. They just don't do much non-enterprise stuff xP

I second this suggestion.