Psu click (turn off ) and reboot on Getting Devices Ready

Hi pc:
12900K with NZXT KRAKEN X73
2x16GB DDR4 KINGSTON DDR4 3600MHZ in GEAR 1
RTX 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming
Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4 bios F5
SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE
Seasonic Px 1300W Platinum Prime

I went from Aorus Z490 and 10850K to 12900K and Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4. Windows 10 is installed on SSD from 10850K build.When new pc booted i enabled in GEAR 1 XMP ( 3600 mhz ). Then i rebooted to UEFI again without issues.

When Windows 10 was loading first time on new motherboard ,pc shutts off ( heard psu click ) and turns back on again. And second time it booted normally to Getting Devices Ready %.

Just before moment when windows 10 show GETTING DEVICES READY %. It just turned off and rebooted and windows 10 start configuring. Not happened again since.

Is this ok?

you just changed the hardware and ran windows without a repair install?.
then its likely windows tried to load system drivers/configs for the old hardware.
when they didnt run as the hardware wasn’t found.
windows shut down cleared the configs and run a basic setup again.
this is normal.

really you should do a minimum repair install as this will clear out the old hardware configs that will remain on the install you have going now, which may at some point cause problems.
ideally, fresh install.

2 Likes

ah oki thx

try all that on gear 2 or maybe like 3200mhz gear 1
3600Mhz is right arough where it tops out on DDR4 gear 1 so you CPU may not be fully stable with it, it might be bios stable but not windows boot stable

1 Like

lol? I dont have any errors in HCI MEMTEST and KARHU RAMTEST

I dont have any errors in HCI MEMTEST and KARHU RAMTEST. And games are ok.

It happened after Aorus logo screen,just before windows loaded first time . In moment when windows 10 show before GETTING DEVICES READY %. It just turned off and rebooted and windows 10 start configuring. Not happened again since. So why psu clicks?

not windows boot stable, but all memtets passing fine. ?

So dont worry if pc shuts off,psu clicks and rebooted itself ?

normally you would but it sounds like normal pc behaviour.
unless the psu went off and stayed off i wouldnt be that concerned.

if you want to test if its a feature. enter eufi. set the ram outside of spec save and exit.
your pc should switch on as normal then switch itself back off. then on again as it tries to reset the eufi.
once it comes back on, go back into eufi. reset the ram specs. save exit…
this time the pc should just soft off. reboot and then load windows as normal…

during the first test listen for the off. is it the same noise you heard previous? then its likely a function of the psu.
if not you can run some tests, but honestly unless you can smell smoke and everything appears to be working.

i would just take note of it and carry on. do some testing for temps and timings, run some hardware info and check the volts on the psu…
they should be around 3-3.3c. 5-5.5v and 12-12.5 max.

1 Like

I changed first ram to XMP and to gear 1. Pc shutted off ( psu clicks too ) and rebooted and i enter to UEFI. Thats normal i now. But after next reboot ( just before windows 10 loaded ) before GETTING DEVICE READY pc shuts off < psu clicks > and rebooted again. Not happened again since. It was normal? Can WINDOWS 10 make that?

I wouldn’t be chasing RAM problems when we know that the PC is rebooting itself during the configuration of a Windows install from another platform. It’s going to be hard to troubleshoot anything when we know that you’ve changed to a completely new platform without at least doing a minimum re-install of Windows, especially since the new platform is Alder Lake, I have no idea what sort of configuration happens for the new architecture that might be missing from your install.

Yes, Windows can reboot your PC. The PSU ‘clicking’ is just a relay switching while it power cycles, probably a soft-start circuit. That’s completely normal.

3 Likes

Yup agree.

At this point i would say just wait and see if similar things happen again.

2 Likes

installing now windows 11 wish me luck :slight_smile:

How somebody find my banned nicknames from other forum - #38 by HEXiT ah i remember you. your the guy that likes to get banned from formums for repeatedly asking the same questions. then goes to other forums and asks why he got banned.

you have your answer.
its normal behaviour caused by how you installed the hardware after the operating system.
now your installing windows 11 you will have a clean system which you can then diagnose…
not that it will need it as its new hardware and a fresh install.

5 Likes

I ask because my first motherboard was faulty. Whenever i turn it on all the leds and fans turn on for a half second then turn back off again, repeat forever. I cleared CMOS battery. Unplugged GPU. Removed 1 stick memory the same.
My friend come with hes mobo Z690 and all parts working fine with hes mobo. So i went to shop and they exchanged me Aorus Elite Z690 to other example and second motherboard booted fine.

So thats why i ask. Is that psu/shutdown ( psu click ) and reboot on new motherboard just before windows 10 was loading was somehow related ,that i have second motherboard faulty,or its completetly different thing?thx

Just my first motherboard ( that before exchange ) dont wanna boot. It stuck with boot loop. ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF. And psu was clicking too.
But new motherboard booted fine and its ok fine?

yes its fine.
you solved it by replacing it. thats how this works.
will it have affected your other components? only time will tell if they are working now.
its unlikely, as they are working now that you swapped out the motherboard.

so stop worrying and enjoy your pc.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.