[PSA] Tk-Glitch has stopped providing wine-tkg sources to Lutris. RIP

@GloriousEggroll The important builds that need to carry forward all have to do with Pulseaudio. A nopulse build or a osu build would be just enough to maintain. Pulseaudio over longer periods of play (longplays) seem to always have issues if there’s no “nopulse” build.

Also, someone needs to update the PCGamingWiki Linux article to say that tkg versions of Wine are no longer updated by Lutris.

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Linux

hi, it’s been a while since i logged in, but I took over builds after tkg stopped providing. I’m friends with him and we share patches frequently. Since then I’ve also implemented faudio into the lutris buildbot and we are regularly creating new builds with both faudio and custom patches used in both mine and tkgs external builds.

3 Likes

Cool! We’d lowe to see a thread about that! I’m sure many users may be worried about that change over, or may not be aware of it, and thinkxbad things may happen to lutris or some ridiculousness like that

Honestly I doubt that most people even know what TkG or GE in the builds even is. And those who do most likely also know how the switch happened.

Not to mention that the new official Lutris builds are now only called Lutris anyway.

1 Like

The major thing people need to prepare for is Faudio has to be separately installed as a system shared library along with FFmpeg.

Uh why though? faudio is compiled into the GE/Lutris builds.

1 Like

No it isn’t on the Lutris builds. It’s compiled already for the PROTON GE builds, but not the GE builds for Lutris. It requires external dependencies on system libraries to work. Lutris’ buildbot assumes the USER has the shared library installed on the system. It doesn’t build Faudio for you.

AFAIK they don’t even do non-protonified builds anymore, it just doesn’t specifically say protonified.

At least since May this year faudio is compiled in by default according to their news channel.

Also see GE’s post above.

1 Like

Oh! I see… So Lutris sets environment variables properly for running their builds and simply replacing wine-staging in /opt doesn’t. That’s why I kept thinking this was required. So using a Lutris build of Wine in place of wine-staging will cause these issues. Lutris itself is unaffected.

What needs to happen is it has to be fully self contained where the references in the core of Wine can look to the lib directory within Wine rather than to the system lib directory, and does not require environment variable intervention from Lutris. (and can work regardless of the name of the Wine folder) That’s how Proton is setup. It looks to system libraries within itself rather than on in the system directories.

Yes, Lutris comes bundled with its own runtime (AFAIK derived from Ubuntu where they compile) to avoid weird issues related to different Lib versions, so it should “just work” for most systems/users.
You can turn those off if you know what you’re doing, but Lutris is meant for “the average joe”.

Yes that is certainly possible, but I assume this was done on purpose. There is one Lutris runtime installed alongside Lutris itself, that every Lutris-WINE build can then use, instead of having the libs for each version.
Proton is a little different because there’s only a handful versions, but Lutris has a ton of them at this point. I would imagine Valve switching to a similar model at some point, provided they don’t drop old Proton versions alltogether.

^at least this is all from what I gathered in the Discord over time.

Bumping to inform everyone that neither TKG nor GloriousEggroll are maintaining Lutris Wine builds anymore.

Instead, the new maintainer is Tannis Root, and it’s unsure how to directly get a hold of him for bug reports. You just have to pray he looks at the Lutris Discord.

Quote from GE:

I don’t give a fuck about Lutris Wine anymore. Ask Tannis Root. (He’s the reason I stopped caring about Lutris Wine)

Too bad, so sad. Means Lutris will miss out being first dibs on both Media Foundation fixes and EAC work.

1 Like

You can download releases of these projects off their usual sources and drop them into the lutris / container folder that which I forgot the exact path to :slight_smile: It’s in your ~user folder.

Note quite.

~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/

On a side note: Lutris builds are still based on GEs and TKGs work, they just don’t compile and provide them anymore. To my knowledge the infrastructure behind it is still the same.
The only reason they are doing it under the Lutris name now is so that they have a consistency for unexperienced users. In the past there have been at least 3 different naming schemes (“wine”, “TKG”, “GE”, probably more) for the WINE versions which just confused new users. Doing it under one name just provides consistency and less confusion for new/unexperienced users. Advanced users can still go with whatever, just like they can with Proton.

When EAC and BE support drops (fingers crossed), I’ll be all over it.

UPDATE: There is a experimental EAC build people can dig for off a discord server or on reddit (linux_gaming) that works for a few games such as Apex)

Public Warning:

To all those with thin skin, you will not work well with Glorious Eggroll. He expects no bullshit from you when bug reporting or feature requesting, so if you have your own personal problems, that counts as bullshit. Avoid him if you have problems of your own or you like to complain.

Well he’s not there for therapy. Why bring up personal issues when reporting bugs?

1 Like

It is perhaps on the line of inappropriate to describe someones actions on how they wish to manage their work as a ‘public warning’, id suggest just keeping things on topic and not resorting to personal attacks please, its not needed.

3 Likes

Dude works in Tech Support all day, I can see why he doesn’t want to deal with Tech Support BS in his free time.

If something is actually wrong with the build he will happily deal with it, but he’s not responsible for supporting everyone’s personal issues with the build.

Simple as that.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s mentally taxing already, especially with overseas support taking over and huge job anxiety.

So I guess the more appropriate term is they have a short fuse. And personal projects requiring support is pretty much the thing that can take him over the edge.

Doesn’t excuse “thick skinned” workplace mentality and how that is so unfriendly to people on the spectrum.