PSA: Lutris' worst RTFM ever for Proton users (and how to fix it)

Oh that’s what you meant :smiley:

I was referring to the actual install scripts on the Lutris website (i.e. the ones you use to install games), not the documentation.

1 Like

Oh I see lol. The same concepts should apply, though, for the OP? :wink:

Yeah, but the install scripts are not in a Git repo (which is fortunate or unfortunate depending who looks at it and how), hence why I was a bit confused by the Git guide :smiley:
But yeah the basic principle is the same. Login on the website, hit edit, add whatever, submit for moderation and wait.

2 Likes

:thinking: That’s odd.

But I learned something new, so thanks for clarifying.

Confusing is my middle name.

Interesting… Lutris is definitely the pot smoking uncle of the gaming on Linux family.

1 Like

Well, Lutris is made for dummies (the client as well as the website), and not having the “burden” of Git does make it easier for new people (i.e. non-devs who don’t know a thing about Git) to get started writing scripts.

And that is probably also the reason for the confusion on OPs part: He expected ESYNC to be on by default, because he knew Proton has it on by default. But Lutris is made for dummies and the dummy doesn’t know that and would (hopefully) read the Documentation to turn it on manually. I.e. OP is too advanced in the topic. It’s also a common issue to know “too much”.

2 Likes

Thanks for providing a clear solution @mihawk90!

@FurryJackman please update your documentation accordingly.

Made that the solution to the thread. The error message still lingers for Proton versions so that will continue to be an issue. I’m just not used to Lutris and I’m still dealing with driver crashes using custom Proton with an existing prefix, which apparently a dirty prefix isn’t the issue to the point I was smearing the image of certain custom Proton versions and Wine…

May I ask why you’re even using the Proton versions in the first place? There’s really no reason for it to my knowledge.

The TKG, GE, and now Lutris builds (which are still just TKG/GE) all have the same kinds of patches + bonus patches for specific games, so there’s really no reason to use the Proton versions in the first place.

If you just want to test if it is actually a Lutris issue (in which case: try disabling Lutris runtime in the System-Config of that game), you can just add the GOG games as Non-Steam games in Steam. In the properties of those you can also set them to use Proton for Non-Steam games.

Yeah, I have had no luck adding non-Steam games to Steam for use in Proton at all.

GE builds get patches faster than Lutris maintained TKG. Media Foundation in particular. But I also like the Proton fshack for resolution scaling for 4K.

The Lutris builds are just Tannis Root builds now, which is an older stable TKG with cherry picked stable patches. Recent winevulkan updates apparently broke fshack so the latest default doesn’t have fshack, which is disappointing.