Ps4.5

What are peoples thoughts on Sony making a PS4.5 with better hardware to make better use of VR?

its 90% true apparently

If people can use their ps4's as trade-in's to cover the majority of the cost I say "COOL!". Otherwise, that sounds as appealing as sandpaper underwear. Who wants to spend an additional 400.00 bucks (or whatever you paid) for something that is pretty close to what it already is.

So Nintendo is probably releasing a new console this year. They released a year before the xbone and ps4, so basically any time after next year that they haven't switched to next gen is running on borrowed time. The later in the cycle, the less sense this makes...

For me, i play PC, don't see a reason to buy a ps4 or 4.5 or 4k. There is 1 console i might buy, its Nintendo. Nintendo and PC gaming are unique. If Nintendo gaming stopped existing, we would lose something permanently. If PC gaming stopped, we would lose something permanently. If Xbone gaming stopped, well, you could get a pretty identical experience on the ps4 of vice versa, or really the PC, or Nintendo could provide a very similar experience as well. I don't see Sony or Microsoft providing anything of value compared to PC or Nintendo gaming.

3 Likes

Neat, not for me PC4lyfe. (as if we expected different from a PC forum)

@RotaryTelephone the trade-in is a really cool i dea I hope they adopt, it would be silly to have two consoles, one just for VR

If you're spending an additional 400 you might as well sell your ps4 and build a pc ᕦ( ͠° ͟ل͜ °)ᕥ

2 Likes

First off. ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE! I haven't owned a console since PS2.
Second, that wasn't the question.

All this pc/console shit is stupid. Games are games, just make em good. Pc can open up a world of posibilitys that a console never could but that's not the argument.

1 Like

external gpu, from amd (polaris)... problem solved. or as amd shown apu with hbm on vr-set. (so its being rendered on your head)

xbox... it'll gonna run polaris apu.

also vega or navi will get native 4k rez support

1 Like

I was disgusted when I saw an article on this. Bad enough they came out with next gen consoles that were not what most people expected or wanted them to be and now already they are coming out with a new console in a sense. The funny thing is I was preaching quite a long time ago before any of the talk about this that MS really needed to do a hardware revision for their Xbox One. I guess we will see that next. How about MS and Sony next time deliver what the people really want right away instead of having to come out with a new version of the system not long after releasing the original console.

1 Like

i really don't mind. Have peasants fork more money...

1 Like

Yes i wasn't trying to start anything... I was only saying that if they made you buy a whole new device rather than the trade in idea that would be the way i would go

I already have a blu ray player so I won't buy it, but more capable machines is good for the industry and consumers, so bring on the upgrades

Oh okay. Sorry.

So.... I am super pissed off. The Playstation 4 Pro (aka.. the 4.5) is officially announced, and it is lacking in the one area i cared about.....

I am hoping to get a 4K tv next year, and i want a player. Now a standalone player is expensive, so i was hoping the new PS4 would come with one (i also wanted to play some PS4 games). nope.... not only is it $400, and doesn't come with 4k Bluray playback, the Xbox One S (at $300) actually DOES come with a 4K bluray player.

So yeah... i'm pissed.... Hell, they even throw in Halo 5 and Halo Master Chief Collection. $300 for Halo and a 4K bluray player? I'm down. Unless players come down to like $150, or Sony puts a 4K drive in next year.... i may have to get an Xbox @_@

(irony, Sony helped develop Bluray)

I saw a couple of the games they were running, it's somewhat 4k, but I would hazard to guess it's more of a 1440p native with SSAA upsampling. Furthermore, at these resolutions with the new hardware, it's still having a hard time keeping a perfect locked 30fps, let alone 60fps. What I think really made the difference in their presentation is the HDR. I don't blame them though, for $400+ you can't really expect at perfect 4k machine, we'll have see hardware performance-per-dollar improve for that to happen.

ill throw down.

hang on, lets get real.
real talk time.

are you PC bro?
ill Throw Down.

2 Likes

Apparently that will come to old PS4s in a software update. At least that was what it sounded like in the last pcper podcast.

The PS4 Pro would have been a nice upgrade if only the console was made to focus on delivering 1080p/60fps high/ultra settings on all games. Unfortunately, they made to be some machine that plays games at a psuedo 4K resolution. You need a 4K display which most people do not have and costs another few hundred dollars and games will not run at true 4K.

Many of the exclusive games on the PS4 desperately needs a higher framerate like Bloodborne, Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886 (mediocre game with great artstyle), Uncharted 4, etc.

Probably just a HDMI 2.0a firmware update. I'm planing to do the same for my R9 290x, just convert the Display Ports to HDMI 2.0a.