Proxmox VE for enterprise use, any thoughts?

It will not. From experience, they're completely incompatible. I was hoping to use virt-manager to handle proxmox stuff a while back for horrible reasons, but you're not able to do that.

1 Like

This seemed odd to me, so I gave it a quick Google search. It looks like Ovirt will use DRBD for 2 node clustering. I didn't see anything talking about what they do to ward off split-brain with only 2 nodes, though. I don't think Proxmox has any official suggestions for a solution either, short of "Don't make a 2 node cluster." :slight_smile:

In either case, Ovirt and Proxmox seem to be horses of similar color, so I imagine you'll be good which ever route you take.

That's their official stance. Honestly, most people are either running one machine or they want at least 4. 2 or 3 nodes is a rare situation.

I've got no experience with Ovirt. Might have to check it out, for science.

1 Like

I'd believe it. True HA is such a hard thing to achieve to only have 2 or 3 nodes in a cluster.

Stand back! I'm going to use...SCIENCE! (It's super effective)

1 Like

You monster.

1 Like

Just a single server. Its an old Dell R610.
Just wanted something I could control since our prod stuff is run on VMware and we dont manage those.
I wish I had more network interfaces.

I use SuSE, which is also not free because support plan. For that, it comes with really nice management software for the hypervisor of choice (they support all major hypervisors).

For a smaller deployment, OpenSuSE, which is free, is more than enough, because it offers all the hypervisor platforms, plus integrated Yast management.

Proxmox is also a very good choice, because minimal and comes with management tools. Besides that, there is Xenserver. ESXi is very popular in enterprises, but it's not the best, the selling point of ESXi is that there is a shit ton of Windows management software available. It works though. For linux users, Xenserver is nicer though in my opinion. Reality is though, there will be nothing that uses system resources more sparingly than proxmox with debian instances on it. It all depends on what you want and what you have to run it on.

I run Proxmox in my home lab to tinker with containers and VMs. At work we manage servers for about 150 clients. Every single one is Windows, including our company server. Makes me alittle queasy just thinking about it.