Proxmox server - Older Hardware Advice

HI Guys,

I currently have a Debian server running on fairly low-end hardware serving files and running some docker containers and home assistant.

Current Hardware is as follows:

Supermicro X10SLL-F
Pentium Dual Core G3220 3.00GHz
16GB of ECC RAM

Ideally, I’d like to run Windows 10, Debian, maybe FreeNAS and a couple of other VM’s later down the road.

It would be possible and easy for me to upgrade the RAM to 32BG and CPU to Xeon E3-1231 v3 in my current setup. But my question is would I be better off upgrading the whole system to something newer? It’s only going to ever be a couple of people accessing the VM’s.

Also is there anything else I need to consider? The network is obviously just 1GB and I have various SSD’s and HDDs for storage

My last question is would it then be possible to use a raspberry pi to access the VM’s using VNC or would performance not be any good?

I would… if you can get a newer system for about the same money as upgrading the CPU/RAM…but its your money.

Any recommendations on suitable newer hardware?

That will depend on your budget, your requirements (ipmi/10g/etc), your os/hypervisor of choice, and even what you’re comfortable supporting.

Budget is under $1000. This is a home network project. So its really more about finding reasonable hardware that is suitable to run Proxmox and several VM’s well enough to be viable to use, rather than getting the biggest and best system. Obviously I’d like 10GB, but at the moment I cannot justify the costs. I assume that VM’s will run OK on 1GB network? I already have ipmi on my current motherboard, which is useful.

I have a few of these systems with the e3-1225v3 and 32gb ECC running proxmox. They seem to do well for the most part. I am trying to nail down my input output delay which I believe is the old rust hard drives. Personally I am leaning toward a Ryzen 3600 and a decent motherboard at some point and use one of these as a freenas backup.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.