Proxmox disk speed and configuration question

Hi!

I’m having some weird issues with Proxmox that I don’t exactly understand.

I have Proxmox fully updated on a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro-P motherboard, a Ryzen 5700g, 64gb of ram, and 2x 970 Evo Plus’s in a ZFS Raid 1.

For some reason, installing a 20.04.05 Ubuntu VM with 4 cpu’s and 4gb of ram takes about 30-40 minutes.

Not sure what’s going on there, shouldn’t it just be a few minutes with the hardware I have? I’m wondering if my disk configuration is goofed up.

In addition to this speed issue, I have a spare WB Blue 500gb sata SSD available to contribute to this setup. Does it make sense to install proxmox to that sata sdd and then use the nvme disks for VM’s instead?

Thanks all!

Wipe it and start again. Life’s to short to figure out what you did wrong.

You want to use a pair of small drives as the ProxMox OS storage. A couple of good USB sticks will do or a couple of cheap SSDs will do.

Set your Evo storage drives to mirrored rather than RAIDz1. It still uses ZFS but is faster. I’m assuming that’s easy in ProxMox, if not just do it the easy way.

You can chuck the WD Blue in as additional storage, what the heck. Don’t use it as the ProxMox boot drive, that’s silly.

You should be able to install a VM in 5 minutes. Do give it plenty of RAM and plenty of cores. Do make sure to install to SSD. You can reduce the RAM later and cores don’t subtract from your original 12 cores.