Proxmox code 43 nvidia GPU x299 vm pci passthrough brick through monitor

Hi all,

I have an x299 platform (Asrock Taichi) with 7920X running proxmox 6.2-4

The system is running in UEFI mode. vt-d is enabled.

Attenpting to pass through nvidia GPU. I have attempted a 1080ti and 750ti and end up with the code 43 error. I am running windows server 2k19 as the guest os.

I have followed the instructions provided over at reddit —> /r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/

I have undertaken weeks of troubleshooting.

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any BIOS settings that may be required on this platform to rectify the code 43 issue in windows?

Any help is appreciated

qwomboj

Code 43 is an Nvidia issue, not a BIOS issue. The places to check are the VM config to make sure the it is hiding the VM, and that you are passing the GPU ROM file to the VM.

Also, try passing through the non-boot GPU.

Make sure step 3. from the guide you followed is completed by adding the args to vmid.conf. Especially “hv_vendor_id=max12-char_string”

From archwiki:
Error_43:_Driver_failed_to_load%22_on_Nvidia_GPUs_passed_to_Windows_VMs

That fixed error code 43 for me when I did gpu-passthrough

So i went through and re-configured the conf file and it worked. Thanks for the advice.

I could not get the GPU in pci slot 1 to pass through successfully but i threw another card in and it worked. (with the above args)

I am thinking i will probably go back to bare metal on this machine though. There are some really strange thing that happen with the ram when you load the system. The ram completly fills up and will discharge when the activity dies down. The ram is not committed to any windows process though. I think it may be a zfs thing. any thoughts?

Thanks for the help. Ended up being the args. I did also end up throwing in another card to passthrough as the GPU in slot 1 was still being problematic.

1 Like