Proxmox build questions

Yes, you should at least try it....

In my world...no that wouldn't work, here's the thing you are going to create a VM that you expect Windows to run and be happy in, then on top of that you want to run a piece of software that has to live also, what type of performance would you expect from a bare metal install of Windows running with a single core CPU and 4 g of ram? you don't even meet the minimum requirements to run Win 7 much less anything newer like Win X.

Since I only have played around with VMs in kinda' the type of system you are considering I'm not even close to having a informed opinion, all I know is in the type of virtualization I do with hardware pass through it wouldn't even be worth the time to try because you don't meet the minimum for the OS (guest) on a bare metal install, if you could get the guest OS to even install with those resources.

But like I said it's not the kind of thing I do or have much knowledge about, and that type of virtualization is different in how it handles hardware because everything provided to the guest is virtual where in a system like I use only memory and CPU cores are virtually passed to the guest (for the sake of argument I'm simplifying), everything else is a physical pieces of hardware removed from the hosts control and given to the guest for it alone to use and control which is why you need 2 GPUs to do what I do. (again I'm simplifying because it's not on topic but you should recognise the difference)

2 Likes