Protection Against DoS/DoX Attacks

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in the "hacking" section, I did my best to find where there were similar posts and the only ones I found were folks asking HOW to DoS individuals. I'm also sorry if this has been asked dozens of times.

I'm a Twitch.tv streamer and my privacy is very important to me. I've developed a following and with that following comes people who want to harass me and my friends, whether that be through DoS attacks or trying to find my personal information and make it public (aka DoX attack).

I'm not able to pinpoint exactly how my IP is being found since I imagine there are a lot of ways. It could be just me streaming on Twitch that makes it visible, or they're finding it when I'm in multiplayer games on PC or Xbox Live. I've heard talk that there is a severe security issue in Xbox Live in regards to your IP, so I'd bet that's where they're getting it from (the attacks also only seem to happen when I hop on Xbox, as I usually stream PC games).

What I've tried:

I've done research on VPNs, but the obvious issue I have with those is how badly it slows down my connection. I'm fortunate enough to be able to make a living streaming and having my connection cut in half is unacceptable. HOWEVER, I know there are a ton of VPNs out there, but I don't know which one is best for my needs.

I have a dynamic IP, so I know it's as easy as forcing an IP change to stop the attack. I do this every time & it works like a charm, but it gets annoying after a while.

During an attack, I've tried contacting my ISP to see if they could do something and was hilariously met with, "What is DDoS?" It is a major ISP and I was absolutely shocked. I was sent through every "security" department and none of them knew what to do, so I have no help there. I could switch ISPs, but honestly, I don't have a lot of faith in them.

What I'd like to know from you folks, if possible:

Reliable & secure VPN that will not limit my internet speeds severely.

Whether it's possible to trace/find the attacker in order to submit them to authorities.

Any information you guys can provide would be great. I've watched a couple of the TekSyndicate videos that relate to security & they've been extremely helpful in figuring out the basics.

Apologies for the wall of text, I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks for your help. :)

I would get a VPS Nearby with high bandwidth (Locationally and Ping wise) that has DDoS protection( something like this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=062c1999aef54f81442322fe7696bda0&t=1314393 you may be able to find them for cheaper look around ), be aware that some Datacenters will just null route your IP if they see a flood attack, and run a VPN application such as soft-ether ( http://www.softether.org/ )on it to act as a VPN server. Just connect to the VPN and you should be dandy.

get a router with Dos protection. I have an asus wirless router, and it has alot of nice features, including dos protection

You could look into an IPS that could close the connection(s) of the person doing the DoS attacks, though I honestly have no idea how well they do at this task.

Or you could get a firewall to block incoming ICMP packets.

Can you tell me the exact brand? I'd like to do a bit more research on it, considering I'm in the market for a new router anyway.

RT-N56U

4 g-bit ports, 2 usb, and dual-band wirelessN

I appreciate the help. How does getting a VPS combined with a VPN differ from just getting a VPN alone?

Excellent, thank you. :)

You will be the only one on the VPN so you don't have to worry about any loss of speed it will just be you on the VPN, If your Upload is good enough you could get your max bandwidth through it in most cases. You would want it fairly close to where you live within 20ms so you will not have too bad of lag for streaming games and such.

don't use/tell people your real name on the internet

don't tell where you live

don't be fooled by social engineering

thats how

get 'er dun

use common usernames that if they are googled will show up with millions of results

like my name, google me and see if you can dox me

Speaking of which, Google today announced this site that visualizes global DDoS attacks in real time.

Alot seems to be happening in the US.