Project Trident - The Splitters!

Project Trident (a desktop oriented OS) has decided to re-base from FreeBSD to Void Linux. It sounds like this is so they have less trouble staying up-to-date and can then resume work on the Lumina DE etc.

https://project-trident.org/post/os_migration/

So for anyone playing with Project Trident, if you are still here next year you’ll be chased from this category :stuck_out_tongue:

One point of interest - Void Linux was set up by an ex-NetBSD developer, although that wasn’t known when they decided to use it.

I find this a little disappointing, personally.

Void Linux is fantastic, and I really like what they do. But I was also really excited to have a desktop oriented TrueOS project, and even donated to Project Trident after it was announced. With the switch over to Linux, I’ll probably stop watching the project and focus on GhostBSD instead.

No one else going to point out they called their Linux fork “trident”

No?

Okay

2 Likes

It would have been awesome for them to continue on being a BSD distro. They could have been the foot in the door for many users to come into BSD land, just how there are simple OOTB Linux distros that got people into Linux.

1 Like

I guess it just leaves Dragonfly and Ghost as the desktop oriented spins of BSD. TBH whilst I used PC-BSD sometime back and liked it but TrueOS and Trident wasn’t quite the same somehow.

1 Like

Um, project trident was the name chosen while still BSD based, off Trueos / PC-BSD?

Yeah, that’s why I was surprised none of those people doing the bsd challenge tried it…

Wait, wasn’t You one of those crazy, crazy BSD triers? but you tried Dragonfly, and their Hammer/Mammer/whatever system.

Listen, I don’t speak Linux

oh. Sorry. BSD pre-dated Linux. We’re the new fashionable kids that come in with tatoos, and odd facial hair.
And Beanies.
And vaperisers

[I am of course joking. Except for the beanies. I often wear a beanie.]

1 Like

Yes, PC-BSD was dropped as a name a while back in favour of TrueOS. Trident then emerged as the desktop oriented spin from that.

Cool. I couldn’t remember when Trident Forked.
I thought it was after PC-BSD renamed the the desktop to match the Moore’s led server system, but might have been before

MUSL libc right? So wouldn’t it be in fact Void MUSL/Linux :duck::duck::duck:

2 Likes