Project Stream PC/Spare Gaming Rig

The idea here is to take a XPS 8300 I just bought and turn it into a more usable Stream Machine to capture video for my live streaming setup. It will also serve as a spare gaming/media pc if I change my mind.

Specs: i7 2600, GTX9800+, 8GB of RAM, 2TB Storage.

I'm in the process of cleaning it out right now. I changed out the power supply with a spare one I had lying around, and added a case fan to the front to help with the abysmal stock air flow.
I'm also changing out thermal paste and pads on the GPU, as well as the CPU.

Pics below. :arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down:

2 Likes

Bought this. I'll have to review it when it gets here.

1 Like

When I get off school for summer I'm going to start streaming, and this is exactly what I was thinking, be interested to know how a low end CPU performs when all its doing is encoding, would love some benchmarks when you're all done!
Good luck with it anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not sure that it can be considered "low end". The i7 2600 is still a very capable CPU.
The overall tower was cheap though. Only 250 American pesos for a half decent gaming rig. Still plenty of life left in Sandy Bridge so long as you don't mind not being on the cutting edge.

You're swapping out that 9800 right? its gonna be rough playing anything demanding on that. I only say that because I still have one lol.

1 Like

No plans on replacing it just yet. I wanted to do some benchmarks on it just for fun. I don't plan on running new games on it anyway. Mostly it's just gonna be a game capture pc, or HTPC