Project Ryzen in a Box

Update

A new day, more parts:

Neutrik Covers for XLR-type throughpanel connectors (as you may notice 6, when in this post there are 7 covers. That is because I got a number mixed up).
Neutrik TRS-Connector with locking tap (yes, metall housing).
And 9 M3 to M3 standoffs.

Standoffs in motherboard tray:

Thanks ASRock for this design gem (you need to remove the M.2 to screw in the motherboard…)

How the box currently looks:

5 Likes

Update

The last pieces for the frame arrived:

Frame completed:

Monitor mounted:

To-Do:

• order aluminium sheet for the sides (and drill some holes into it)
  • finalise the GPU mountingplate
  • screw down main plate to frame
  • screw motherboard tray, PSU and connection box to main plate.
  • finish internal 240V distribution
12 Likes

that yuge, book looks great

1 Like

IMO, the form factor should be called note-box

5 Likes

Update

GPU holding plate made from bent aluminium sheet with angles attached. The cutout is for the GPU to push air through.

Plate mounted in the frame

GPU in place, still needs to get screwd down somehow. And depending on temperatures, I might close the gap under the plate it sits on.

Next thing I got done was the AC distribution. The internal wires are all hooked up in the grey distribution box seen in the pic above, the only thing missing was the step to the socket.
Crimped:

Heatstrinked:

Ready for installation:

6 Likes

Text-Only Minor Update
Will figure out exact fan and front I/O positions, make a drawing of it and take the DXF and the aluminium sheet to my uni.
Might be able to get a picture of the waterjet in action.

Soon™

3 Likes

lots of money went into this i see, looks good so far cant wait for final product

2 Likes

Could do a cost breakdown when finished.

I will certainly write an extensive review of the project after it had its first real action at an upcomming LAN party.

3 Likes

Update

Alu sheets arrived. All cut to specified size and packaged well.

A quick “test fit”. In hindsight, I maybe should have tried to insert the sheets into the grooves of the frame.

All the sheets are 1mm, except the soon™ to be front panel, wich is 3mm. In hindsight, an overkill.

5 Likes

I made my first case out of 3mm alu sheet. Damn that thing is heavy and feels like it could survive nuclear blast. :smile:

3 Likes

Damn that thing looks gorgeous! I would like to build something quite similar, but in smaller scale.

I would have liked to make it more compact, the problem is finding monitors that small.

2 Likes

Update
Have to cut the holes by hand. So a lot of saw action, sweat/tears/blood and file work to clean it up again.

Will probably only take pictures of test fits.
Expect declaration of total defeat or victory and completion by friday.

A very pissed off MazeFrame rant

At my uni, there are some things that are good, others that are bad. And one thing that pisses me of on a daily basis.
That thing is when you “test the waters” for a project, basically get the ones who have access to tools to know you and interested in a project it is all “no problem” and “when do you want to start?”

When you then get going, get plans and drawings made, are one step before project kicks into gear, there is a big fat “who are you peasent that you dare speak to me?” Not just once, not just on this project where access to heavy machinery would help, but on EVERY FUCKING OCCASION I or someone tries to get things moving. My uni is a fucking mess that should be embarrassed at their garbage tier internal communication and organization, at least I hope for them that it is that and not them lying about all the “possibilities” they “offer” (as in they don’t) to their students.

You have done so much, defeat is not an option. You can do it !

(Epic music in the background)

Epic music

I will do it!
I am going to spend money on tools I only need this one time (a hole saw 24mm, maybe a Dremel and a few attachements, maybe a 120mm hole saw).

I got 0 tries, no test pieces, no chance of backup arriving on time.

I either commit and fail or I commit and win (the prefered outcome).

1 Like

Do not hesitate no matter at what part of the process. Measure twice cut once.

Lightspeed and don’t forget to share the results good or bad.

4 Likes

This. Mark the cut lines clearly, and if you are not happy, wipe them of and redo them.

And before you start cutting, try to think the whole process step by step in your head from start to finish before doing anything. It helps a lot when you have a plan in your head and know what you are going to do next.

Good luck and remember to share the results :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update

My uni got me a helping hand in preparing the front panel:

Side pieces:
I had my hopes up to get them cut on a waterjet. Big fat nope!
So had to diy them at home.

Marked:

Cut outs done (huge thanks to my dad and his skills):

Holes drilled and fan grills test fit:

Fans mounted, ready to install the side panels:

I got 4 more days to get this done (and dusted. Can’t have aluminium dust blowing through a computer).

Tasks list
36/54 holes drilled
7/10 alu sheets ready for installation
7/10 alu sheets installed
PSU mount :ballot_box_with_check:
Mount mobo-plate: :ballot_box_with_check:
0/6 holes drilled in acrylic
Cable management: :x:
Final assembly: in progress

6 Likes

Wow, that’s really cool - I enjoyed reading through your progress. I’m sure you’re already aware, but those extrusions will definitely hold up - we use them to literally build furniture at work (modular, for special events) - like 8’ bar frames that support heavy 1.5"-2" thick mdf/formica tops. The connectors wear over time with stress, but they are cheap/replaceable - and it’s likely you’ll prevent drunk 300lb men from leaning on it anyhow. We just insert acrylic panels/etc in the extrusion grooves as you noted you could have done, but affixing to the outside should give a more finished look. Good show!

1 Like

Update

Final assembly is in progress.
PSU is mounted, mobo plate is mounted (with zip ties, for better or worse). What you see in the following picture, is how I kept the GPU-holder plate from crashing on the mainboard (yes, that is a 32mm socket, has the perfect hight).

Bottom frame complete, GPU in place (need to figure out how to hold it down), monitor PSU in place. Hidden from sight, the powerbutton and fan splitter for the intake fans are hooked up.

Lid assembly is complete. I may or may not have overlooked the need of the monitor mount to have one screw put it. Why that is a problem?
Because to take out the monitor, I need to remove no less than 17 screws.
A simple fix would be to drill one 10mm hole, problem is that I need to remove 16 screws to do that…

7 Likes