Project Ryzen in a Box

@kewldude007 made that first pic, I believe. For his custom GPU mounting bracket.

2 Likes

correct

4 Likes

Just a thought, but you could potentially jerry rig a 17-inch laptop display that supports adaptive sync with an eDP to HDMI adapter (if it’ll work like that? HDMI version matters?).

Then you could have the whole thing powered by one of the Dell 330W AC adapters, which can plug into the case and split off to the display adapter board, and a DC-DC PSU for the machine (like the one used in the NFC S4 Mini).

1 Like

I hate to be a buzzkill but I would really recommend a laptop. The carcass of that system lives in my closet.

1 Like

I have a laptop. I hate laptops.

The advantage of the alu-frame design is that I can take the computer out, unscrew everything and stuff it in a box. Or leave it as is and pile stuff on top.

have at it then.

2 Likes

This is shit for anything that needs high strength to weight ratio.

I’d recommend finding something better.

Integrity should be plenty. Weight is 440g per meter, so just under 4kg for the whole case.

I’ve worked with this stuff before. You’ll regret it.

1 Like

Either bring forth some breathtaking tale of “sgtawesomesauce
vs the evil aluminium extrusion” or put this thread to “muted”.

1 Like

After doing some cost-optimization and switching functionally equal parts with cheaper versions and doing some updates to my price list.
1286.35€ total.

I think I will get the frame pieces together in january, then get the parts I have to take measurements on.

I have put some more work into planning out the case.

Next thing that needs to be figured out is how to mount the GPU…

3 Likes

Not sure how I missed this. Pretty cool!

1 Like

Holidays are over, so I can order some parts. Yay!

First up: Acryl sheet, 3mm thick, laser cut to size.

3 Likes

I know we’re in different countries, but how much is that acrylic costing? Or are you getting it cut through your university?

I need to replace some glass on a case project of mine, but I haven’t priced out the replacement panels yet.

With the cutouts, they are at 35€

1 Like

The I/O arrived:

Apparantly, my spec-sheet-fu is too low, the covering flap things will need a very little bit of love with a file to fit over the I/O ports…

And I forgot to order the 3.5mm jack to open wire cable, so I have to order that aswell…

4 Likes

Monitor arrived.
Samsung S24F350FHUXEN, VGA and HDMI in, supports FreeSync via HDMI

May remove the stand hinge as by this tutorial.

3 Likes

Another batch of bits arrived.
Most importantly the motherboard tray and power button, lets me take some measurements instead of having to guess sizes.

3 Likes

Is that an Origin 300 ship from Star Citizen that I spy there?