Project Genobyte: Unreal Engine Stole the Bacon

Finally finished porting all of the player code over. In the process I managed to optimize a few things and ported some of the heavier functions to a custom C++ Blueprint library. I also started working with Unreal's UI system and managed to get the basic UI to display properly. Functionality is not yet implemented though.

Pretty much have the basics of C++ and Blueprint down so things should pick up over the next month.

Making a custom C++ Blueprint library really helps cleanup complex Blueprints.

2 Likes

So I've been bouncing some ideas off fellow developers and some concepts might change a bit based on feedback as usual. There may eventually be different drone variations to choose from with some unique elements. This is directly inspired by the popularity of MOBAs. However at the same time there will still be a common weapon pool and different game types. The project is certainly not trending towards the kind of locked-in style that MOBAs usually offer where the experience is effectively always the same. Some concepts for a per-game progression system to further customize the traits of your drone as a match progresses are also in the works.

All of this is still on paper though. I'm still working on just one or two drone models for now and development is still progressing towards a simple public alpha to show off the basic concept. I'm currently working with Unreal's networking system and will probably start contributing towards a Networked PhysX initiative for Unreal that I found on GitHub as I'll need this system for the game.

As always I'll keep posting updates here as things progress. Looking forward to some feedback on these ideas!

1 Like

Major physics update here. I spent most of the day refining the code and moving things to a common C++ base class. The system can now be applied to just about any kind of hovering vehicle from a heavy tank to a light agile drone without any code changes. Only the parameters need to be tweaked.

I've since added airborne gliding vs the old nose diving and better slope compensation and stabilization functions. Overall the system controls a lot better now. Also made a new player model and honestly I feel like this one looks the best.

*Warning generic Youtube audio!

4 Likes

If you need royalty-free music you can use this service. And put accreditation in your video descriptions.

Here's a song I made with this service just now.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, spring break hit and most of it was spent on a hiking trip with friends. I'm still just refining the physics system and adapting it to work better with a bunch of unique vehicle types. I have a working spring damper system implemented now and will probably start working on a basic weapon framework soon. Been getting a bit of code burnout lately so development might be a bit slow.

Might see about doing some freelance work as well to solve some issues that have come up. Nothing major though. Should probably see about relaunching my Patreon page.

Random screenshot showing some new models and better lighting.

4 Likes

looking good!

1 Like

Oooh La. La

1 Like