Problems with reinstalling Ubuntu via USB

Ok now everytime I try to mount the iso the following error occurs in Rufus:

"Please click on the disc button to select a bootable image, or uncheck the “create bootable disk using” check box.

So I click it again and select the .iso again and press start and well…

It’s a loop of bullshit

A similar loop of shit is occurring with mkusb

Yeah it’s just a series of clicking my selection then being sent back to the same menu in mkusb

It’s NOT a chromebook

It’s an HP Notebook

Huge difference as I’ve used both and know

So.

I am using Unetbootin on the Windows laptop. instead of an .iso it installed :
menu.c32
syslinux.cfg
ubnfilel
ubnpathl

Sorry, I have been away for a bit.

I don’t know what to say. I am out of ideas. It really should not be that hard really.
From your past experience, that seems to be the case as well.
Something is up with the BIOS/UEFI maybe. Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade?
If not, reset the BIOS/UEFI to factory!?

I don’t think that I can help your past that. Most sane systems do not mount an ISO at boot from thumb drive.

My past experience is this was always simple

Since the image I DL’d won’t mount , I am using Unetbootin to both DL then install right now

It’s slow AF…

If you make a USB on windows use UUI, if you use linux use Etcher.

Actually etcher might have a windows version…

Idk what you mean about ‘sane system’

All laptops allow you to boot from USB

I’m gonna sit through this slow mount on Unetbootin, if that does not work I will try UUI or Etcher, ty Artemis

UNetBootIn is garbage tbh. I’m not exactly sure why its still dev’d.

No T.

Oh shit sorry. And I so far am agreeing, tho it HAS worked for me a few times.

Not a problem, but if you need me to help I’m pretty sure there is an Artemis on here and you won’t get who you intended to @ :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes, but its boot start is kinda shit.

Well I’ll be back in an hour or two wit either victory or defeat to talk about

=]

1 Like
  • My recommendation when installing a linux iso to a usb drive is dd or on windows rufus and you have etcher that work on both windows and linux.

• If you are trying to recover a broken ubuntu or debian system use debootstrap to chroot in to the system to fix it or to retrieve data.

• Here is my way to dd a iso image on linux dd if=/home/habbis/Downloads/Fedora-Workstation-netinst-x86_64-27-1.6.iso of=/dev/sda bs=4M status=progress && sync

Ok so. I DL’d the 16.04 iso overnight last night. On the Windows laptop I am borrowing to fix this.

Etcher ‘worked’ this time.

Only again, no mounted .iso, just an “efi” folder with no sign of an .iso anywhere in it.

And again the thumb was reduced to 2.25 MB memory. So gonna fix that, reformat and try rufus on this version of the disc image.

OK once again used Rufus and it made a series of folders, not an .iso

Will someone plz DL Rufus and a 16.04 .iso and see what it does on their PC cause this is getting fucking stupid.

I’ve done this 10 times before, almost always with UNetbootin and never has it done anything but mount the .iso

Same story with UnetBootin

NONE of these programs will mount an .iso

When you write the .iso image to a thumbdrive, it’s /supposed/ to leave your usb stick with a bunch of folders and files, not an iso.

1 Like