Problems with powercolor 5970

Hello everyone im having trouble with my 5970 this pc was a gift so i dont konw if this problem has been going on longer than i have had the computer. The problem i cant have both gpu's active, if i try the pc will freeze at the windows splash screen. I can have both gpus on in safe mode or when i dont have any dirvers installed. i have tried flashing the vbios with three diffrent versions and other things i cant recall right now. can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

My system specs

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz 
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366) 

Graphics
FHX2300 (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
CrossFire Disabled

Hard Drives
2000GB Volume0 (RAID)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50

Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Sorry I am a bit confused you CAN run only one 5970 fine with video drivers installed?

in that case its a problem with crossfire drivers and may lead back to something you did in the amd catalyst software

try re setting to default settings and re installing drivers

Hope it helped

try each card on its own first, just run one single card with the other one physically taken out and see how it preforms. Then do the same with the other card and make sure theyre both working properly first...since you're not familiar with the computers history. Then if theyre both working properly you can try to xfire again and look at doing a clean install of the catalyst drivers (use a proper driver removal software) and then reinstall using the latest drivers available. I know there have been a lot of issues with people and xfire lately so im half expecting it to just be shitty catalyst software.

yes i can run only one gpu at a time (if i want to load into windows). ive had a feeling it was a crossfire issue but i wasnt sure. im confused reset what settings? also ive reinstalled the drivers more times that i can remember.

i cant physically take out a card b/c a 5970 is a dual gpu but i can disable both the master and the slave gpu's. the master works perfect but the slave has problems with the drivers, i can only use low resolution (1400 x 1050) and i cant open ccc with the slave gpu enabled but i can still play a game without trouble.