Problems with 1680x1050 monitor and Nvidia

Hi, I’ve tried all the combinations below, when it doesn’t work there isn’t even the POST but the PC does start. The monitor only has DVI and VGA. It’s a Linux system, but the non working connection do not even show the board’s POST.

embedded GPU (3000 series, unusable) with GPU removed

VGA < cable > VGA OK
DVI < cable > DVI OK
HDMI < cable > DVI no signal
HDMI < adapter > VGA OK

660 (Gigabyte Windforce, nothing special)

DVI-I < SL cable > DVI - no signal
DVI-D < SL cable > DVI - no signal
HDMI < cable > DVI - no signal
HDMI < adapter > VGA - OK

On my laptop (Intel 620 graphics)

HDMI < adapter > VGA - OK but have to add a mode to get it to turn the display on.
HDMI < cable > DVI - OK but have to add modes or force EDID, and it still says ‘HDMI2 disconnected’ even though it’s displaying fine.

There are EDID complains in the logs all the time, but I’m not sure why the BIOS is’t displaying for some connections.

There’s all sorts of problems talked about with this and other early LCD resolutions like 1440x900 but I’m just trying to pick up things for free/cheap and this is the kind of thing I’m seeing.

I can’t see how the problem would be the single link DVI cable for 1680x1050 @60Hz, but that’s a cheap enough thing to try if anyone considers it worth trying.

I didn’t SSH to the box and try the non working connection, but when booting into an old 4.19 based live USB nothing ever shows as connected.

I get that 1680x1050 often have bad EDIDs, but not even displaying things for POST for a set of connectors is interesting.

I just concirmed that all the embedded ports do turn off when a GPU is connected so it’s not that.

Do you have any 1680x1050 success stories with digital interfaces or anything else I should try?

Getting an older AMD GPU is also fine, since there are 6450s for about £20 around, and that’s without checking auctions.

It’s allready take me several weeks to get here due to ordering each cable individually… so I’m off to mourn all those cables I lost including some really hight quality DVI ones too :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.