Problems installing ubuntu/manjaro on Asus X570 or GPU driver issue [solved]

So here is my problem: I can get the installation for ubuntu to finish successfully, however after restarting the Computer grub doesnt show up only a black screen (the same happens if I start Ubuntu from live usb without safe grafics or starting manjaro from live usb) So this could be a gpu driver problem aswell.
I can always get into Bios though.

Secure Boot is disabled
Fast Boot is disabled
Ive tried both csm and no csm (I think)
Bios version is 3603 (latest non-beta)

build:
Ausu x570 TUF Gaming pro wifi
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI RX590 Armor
Crucial mx500 m.2 sata ssd
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
be quiet 700w PSU
plenty of cooling

I’ve tried
ubuntu 20.04 (proprietary and non-proprietary drivers)
ubuntu 21.04
manjaro 21.02 (complete failure)

gparted shows 2 partitions:
512MB fat32 flags: boot,esp
465 gb ext4

I have a 2200g on hand if the problem cant be isolated from live usb

Edit:
I installed Windows as a sanity check everything shows up in cpu-z

Ive never had such persistent problems installing linux pls help!

AttemptInstallingPopOs(1)|video

actually Im almost certain this is a gpu driver issue as the gpu fans dont spin once Im out of bios so I’m trying the 2200g next

no change with the 2200g but the cpu does work and gets recognized fml
Im reverting to the 3600 & rx590

You can keep Secure boot on for Ubuntu. Have done a CMOS/BIOS reset? Is there a TPM chip present? If so, have you cleared it from the BIOS? You probably need to have a SWAP partition too. Can you use a different USB drive?

1 Like

Ive since re-enabled secure boot.
Ive loaded “optimised” defaults ill try the battery on my next attempt :slight_smile:
swap on this one I guess

the user Guide says something about a SPI TPM header but the slot is empty
Im now dual booting with windows so im getting grub to show up

Maybe, this’ll help.

1 Like

Additionally, you can hit CRTL+ALT+F2 to switch to console mode when it gets stuck to diagnose the problem with TTY.

1 Like

Lastly, you can try the newest beta BIOS. It should work just fine. If not, you can downgrade.

1 Like

thank you m8.

ok so here is the current situation: once im in grub (which I could probably have gotten to the entire time by holding esc on boot) if I choose to boot into recovery mode and then just resume normal startup I can boot normally however if I choose the standard option I get the Black screen

Sounds like GPU problem indeed.

1 Like

hmm I followed this tutorial:
https://linuxconfig.org/amd-radeon-ubuntu-20-04-driver-installation
to install the proprietary radeon drivers but the problem persists
guess Ill try the Pro drivers next ?

The RX590 should have mature open-source driver support by now. Either something with the motherboard, or the GPU is faulty. Can you check if the 2200G with integrated graphics and with the 590 unplugged works? Remember to plug in the display cable directly to the motherboard HDMI/DP. If you have a spare graphics card, you can try that first.

1 Like

yes Before when I tried it I completely removed the card from the case and plugged into the motherboard hdmi.
unfortunately I dont have a spare gpu rn
But the system was behaving basically the same with the vega graphics

Ubuntu uses Gnome and Gnome uses GDM. Please go into /etc/default/gruband remove quiet from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and report if the issue is resolved. If not please report what you are seeing on the screen, since it should now be verbose.

1 Like

the drivers on amds website are for ubuntu 20.04.2 but Im on 20.04.1 do you know if this is a problem ?

I’ve read reports on the internet that they’ve had success with Ubuntu 18.04.

1 Like

so what I did:
cd /etc/default
sudo vim grub
removed quiet from “quiet splash”
rebooted
chose standard ubuntu as boot option
→ Nothing on screen

do you mean people got 18.04 working well with ASUS boards ?

After you removed quiet you need to run the following:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
1 Like

Wit this one – yes.

1 Like