Problem with Seafile and Qt

So, since Ubuntu 16.04 I’m unable to run the Seafile client on my Ubuntu notebook. When I try to start Seafile via the seafile-applet command I get the following error message:

QWidget::setMinimumSize: (/QMessageBox) Negative sizes (-2147483648,-492131667) are not possible
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 422, resource id: 0, major code: 1 (CreateWindow), minor code: 0

I tried running Seafile as sudo out of curiosity, but aside from getting the following additional message - QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root' - nothing happens. When I try to start Seafile through its icon I don’t even get a error message, but Seafile doesn’t start either.

I also tried manually (re)installing qt (apt-get install qt5-default), but I still get the errors above.

When reading up on this error, I discovered someone mentioning being connected to an external monitor causing this issue. While I have my notebook connected to an external montior, I’m not really able to disconnect it, since the internal one is broken.

Any ideas how to fix this? I’m posting this here, because this doesn’t seem like a Seafile specific issue, but a Linux and qt one.

So, nobody has an idea?

I upgraded to 17.10 and this seemed to do the trick.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the result.

Apparently I wasn’t watching the helpdesk tag. Fixed that, so I’ll be notified of future posts. Sorry!

1 Like

No problem, things like these happen.

The most annoying thing is googling for a PC related problem and finding a thread where the author claims to have fixed the issue, but somehow missed to elaborate on said fix.

2 Likes