Problem deleting sd card Closed

I have access to Windows 10 and Manjaro to fix this problem

32 Gb micro sd card
There is one folder on the card named “Downloads”
This folder is read only
The only thing I want is the sd card formated there is no data on the card that needs to be saved
I have tried Diskpart to do a clean , remove partition volume, nothing there worked
Tried in manjaro to format did not work there.

How are you reading the micro sd card? If your using a micro sd card to sd card adapter then i would check that its not in read-only mode.

Since you have access to linux you could try and use gparted.

When I right click on the folder Downloads it is marked read only
the read only can not be removed
There is not tab on the micro sd to set it to read only
I tried Gparted in Manjaro no go
In Gparted the menu where the delete is was no usable

On some cards (i think sandisk does this) the controller switches to read-only when the card is corrupted (not the fs!) and the internal controller can’t fix it. They do that to prevent data loss. Then you won’t be able to format the disk with most tools.

Not sure if this is the case with your card. dd to the mmblk device to test this.

so this new card is dead

Dead out of box

So there is no way to format an sd card where this is not way the OS can say no
A brute force format where you tell the OS take its warning and go away.
There has to be some command that will ignore all safeties and just format.

It is not that new has been used a few time.
If the sd card is dead how come I can open the sd open the folder Downloads and run the programs that are there.

Because you are only reading from it. A dead sd card will prevent you from writing into it

2 Likes

No, that’s not how it works.

The SD card appears as an IO device to the operating system and presents the OS with its contents via the SD card’s controller (think mini operating system).

When data needs to be written to the SD card, the OS invokes the write() function and pipes the data stream to the IO device, which then the controller writes the data to the physical NAND chips.

The controller is ultimately responsible for where and how the data is written.

This is all abstracted away by what’s known as drivers.

The controller has determined that the NAND where some of your data lives in has been deemed unsuitable, or has been told to be marked read-only. This could be because it is failing, corroded, etc. See:

Unlike data stored on a hard disk drive, once a location of NAND flash becomes unsuitable, it can become read-only instead of being corrupted or lost.

If you have barely used this flash drive, and have not manually set this data to be read-only, then a significant amount of NAND has become unusable and the drive will likely fail catastrophically. I suggest you seize this opportunity to retrieve your existing data and find a replacement.

2 Likes

Consider yourself lucky that the sd card didnt just outright die. You can atleast keep whatever was on it

2 Likes

I still have the original copy on the laptop
the transfer stop and froze, I wanted the data off the laptop so I could do a fresh install of windows.
I got a new memory stick to do the transfer, then looked at the origianl fold on the laptop and it was marked as read only for the download folder. Checked my pc, why would it be marked as read only for the downloads folder in windows 10?

The micro sd is dead then an if so this is a closed topic
Thanks for the help

There was no data the SD card is dead, I can see the SD card and see data on the card, just can not erase the card nor can I add any info to the card, so it is dead and in the garbage.
Thanks for the program will download and use when that kind of problem happens

Have a day

the thread was revived by a spambot.