Privacy vs Convenience

Not just future governments, but for you younger people how about future employers, we already know that potential employers can and do scan your private social media accounts looking for clues to your personal habits and viewpoints.

You know my friend that is exactly the mindset they want you to have, and while I do agree with you I draw the line at the operating system that resides on my home PC, I really don't care about DX12 and if not having it keeps me from spending $60 on a game that is Windows / DX12 only....so be it.

Part of the problem for me, is that I currently have around $1000 AT LEAST worth of games that I can't play on Linux, most of them even with Wine due to them being DX11 titles.

So dual booting is the way to go, and of course using Windows, even when tuning the privacy settings, hurts my privacy. But I don't want to lose games I love that I spent money on to get.

I bought these games before I had even considered using Linux as an OS.

1 Like

That's understandable, I had PS3 games that I bought and never found the time to play and wound up giving them to relatives and friends because I like playing games on the PC, most of the titles I've re-bought on Steam during sales if I had a interest playing a specific game, some play on Linux others don't but I have a Windows KVM to play those in.

There is nothing wrong with dual booting.....it adds flexibility and options.

The thing is, I built my PC for games, it doesn't make sense to limit my game selection because of an OS. That's console talk right there.

shrugs

If somebody wants to hack you they will do it. Also dual booting is fine and all, but it's an unnecessary step for me. Why boot into another OS when I can do everything on windows already?

1 Like

I understand...we all have different wants, needs and desires, what works for me or you might not be right for others.

Trust me when I say it, I would love to switch to linux. But it just isn't worth the trouble, yet.

1 Like

You can know where my computer sits, sure. I will never post from mobile as my mobile can not even access the internet by design.
Against secret services, you are fucked to begin with.

If one wants to track me through the web someone will do so. Same for you. BTW: Do you have that handy vital signs logger on your wrist? Do you have a smartphone?
I am rocking a Siemens ME75 and a mechanical watch. Try to monitor skin fat and heart rate using that watch!

The ME75 has WAP and a VGA camera. More than enough reason for concern.
If you want a secure dumbphone, the only real option is to buy something that doesn't have a camera, no data access at all and was preferably manufactured pre-9/11. That way they can only listen in on your active phone calls, and only when using a Man-in-the-Middle attack or via direct access to the network provider.

True, if they really want to get you, they will get you. But why make it easy for them?
The harder we all make it, the more they'll realize that blanket surveillance is too costly and the higher the chance of them actually focusing on the people that actually NEED to be monitored.

There's respect for privacy and there is just plain being careless. Most social media accounts have options to restrict who can and cannot see your account and search for you. The default options are usually very open.

To me this is like renting a house, on the day you move in all the doors and windows are open, and you just can't be bothered to close and lock them...

I have been to job interviews where they have told me that they have googled my name and found little. I have facebook, google, Twitter and Linkedin accounts but I don't leave them open for anyone to dig into.

1 Like

No smart watch, but smart phone and I use google quite a lot. I have certain types of information kept private and in that matter I control what kind of information goes where and how.

Its exceedingly difficult to find information on me using my real name or info linked to it. Should always be the case at the moment, unless your some sort of public facing person.

1 Like

I went through the same sort of phase where I was trying to secure NFS in my home network with kerberos (absolute pain) to protect against no one but myself really... Good learning experience in any case. Now I value simplicity and convenience.

I'm mainly a Linux user but privacy is not the reason I choose Linux over alternatives. Actually I would say convenience is usually the reason I choose Linux.