I’m looking for a fitness tracker that doesn’t suck.
I’m perfectly willing to assemble a kit, take an existing device and flash an off-label firmware, or buy a bespoke product from an Etsy vendor if it meets my needs. I just want it to not suck.
My definition of suck includes:
- Requires proprietary software to interact with
I’m willing to accept a device that has proprietary firmware, but I’m not willing to run a proprietary app just to get meaningful data from it. If I can connect it via USB or something and export a CSV file, that’s fine.
- No uploads, ever
I’m not willing to share my data with third parties. Ideally, it would never know who I am, and I wouldn’t have to create an account on anything in order to use or maintain it. The device should be functionally airgapped.
Known options, please correct me if I’m wrong:
- Okinesio - Seems dead, but promising
- Fitbit - Subset of data exposed via API, direct export requires proprietary app.
- Misfit - Data exposed via API, no direct device export.
- Jawbone - Subset of data exposed via API, direct export requires proprietary app.
- Withings - Data provided by API with activation but service is dead.
Anybody have any suggestions, or info that should make me reconsider one of the above options?