Printing in Linux

I have a Brother HL-L2300D printer that won’t print in Fedora 36. The CUPS version presently installed is cups-1:2.4.2-4.fc36.x86_64. I installed the Brother HL-L2300D drivers. The printer appears in the list of Fedora installed printers Settings > Printers. The printer ready light blinks when issuing the print command as well as the printer status in Settings > Printers shows “No Active Jobs” but briefly changes to “1 Active Job” then returns to “No Active Jobs”. I installed HPLIP Graphical Tools, the CUPS Web Interface (http://localhost:631/admin) lists several jobs with “State = completed”.

I have a Windows 7 virtual machine (running in VirtualBox on Fedora 36) with the Brother software installed and it prints perfectly.

Printing within Fedora 36 to the HL-L2300D is the goal. Brother Technical Support is zero help.

I found drivers at the following links:

https://www.cups.org/ latest version 2.3.6
cups-2.3.6.tar.gz

Releases · OpenPrinting/cups · GitHub version 2.4.2
cups-2.4.2-source.tar.gz

but I can’t figure out how to install them, presuming they will install, or if it will solve the problem.

Please help me ditch Windows. Thanks.

What happens if you install the RPM from here? Downloads | HL-L2300D | Australia | Brother

Linux printing is really hit or miss from my experience. Some just work, others require propriety binaries to preprocess the data for the printer.

You don’t need to download CUPS, it comes as part of fedora.

1 Like

Logs should be in /var/logs/cups/
Read through the bottom of access_log and error_log for clues to the problem.

You could try a driver-less install, not using the cable but by connecting the printer to wi-fi. I don’t know about Fedora, but my Kubuntu automatically sets up my Brother printer (a 3 in 1 inkjet) with no input from me, it just starts printing. Indeed, I can’t uninstall it, if I try, a minute later it is detected and set up again.

1 Like

I wonder if its the same problem that exist in openSUSE, many Brothers drivers are 32-bits, need to install libusb-0_1-4 and libusb-0_1-4-32bit in openSUSE.

You’ll probably learn it the hard way, GDI (cheap, host based printers) suck… Just get one that supports PCL5,PCL6 or Postscript, network connection preferably wired and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I think that is a networked printer so should just work.

Printing is so easy in Linux Mint that I never have to fiddle with all that CUPS stuff. Mint will list all the printers it sees on your network when you decide to print. You just pick the one you want to use and it prints.

I would think you probably have to manually add it. There should be some buttons on the printer which will get it to tell you it’s IP address.

Instead of guessing why not just look it up?

OK, simple solution. Run Windows in a VM and ask it to share the printer. Linux should be able to print using that. Hhaha.

Well wayland, -I have a lot of MS-badges(exams/certificates). For my daily driver I’m using openSUSE. What about you?
Regards

I did use SUSE a fair bit about 20 years ago but when I came back to it about 10 years ago it seemed to have died. I use Mint as my desktop and mostly debian based servers.

Linux always used to be a pain to print with but Mint sorted that out. It seems SUSE have not. I would bet if I plugged that Laser into my laptop that Mint would pop up a window telling me it had added another printer. This sort of helpfulness means one forgets how to make CUPS do it’s magic. Frankly I’m glad things have moved on.

This is the same brother driver I’ve stalled. At least it completes stating it installed successfully. I just included the CUPS version so people would know which one the system says is included. I figured someone would ask.
Thanks though.

Just to be accurate I see /var/log/cups. Interestingly the folder is empty. But when I print a document, it never errors. It just doesn’t print.
Thanks for the reply.

It’s not a WiFi printer. Just USB v2

I’ll look for 32 bit drivers. The install script didn’t ask for a choice.

Nope. It’s USB only.

I don’t understand your reply. Please read my post and make sure you understand it.

I’d be glad to try any useful suggestions, if you have any.

You’re likely wasting your time (unfotunately) as your printer is “dumb” and relies on the computer (technically the driver) to tell it how to operate and print compared to a printer that supports a common printer language.