Prime95 stable, but x264 on (FFmpeg) Linux crashes consistently. (4960x)

The general idea is memory, but the general consensus is to increase VCCSA. That however got it to crash faster.

Consistent at crashing, but inconsistent on what voltage increases stability.

Random possibly unhelpful musings:

x264 is quite easy on memory when at high presets/settings but very very very memory intensive with the faster ones.

you are asking for a near 20% overclock, as with all OCing, out of spec causes issues.

Yeah, I get it, it’s memory, and I’m using slow preset so it isn’t as fast as it actually seems. Yet it’s the only thing that crashes. Anything faster than medium puts insufficient stress on the CPU.

PLL increase didn’t help neither. Again, crashing faster than before.

This is uncharted territory as people that diagnose these Kernel Panics all do it at stock speeds. Nobody has done it overclocked. Blame the overclock isn’t as helpful as it makes sure the issue will never be solved. It’s about WHY.

The reason for overclocking instability is usually defined as the fact you have overclocked. That is your ‘why’.

The issue is that there are so many variables at play here that unless you wish to spend the next days/weeks/months/years trying to find the answer which you may never find, most will just stick to your 4.3 stable and be happy.

Noting that when diagnosing overlocking you are working within both the software AND hardware domains in multiple dimensions.

This is a terrible answer. You’re basically saying “Just give up, it’s not going to get any better.”

This is the “OVERCLOCKING” section, you’re basically coming in and saying “You guys should give up before you even try, you’re all stupid for voiding your own warranties.”

1.4V Vcore with slight Vdroop was the answer. Maxing out current protections on the VTT and VCCSA while leaving the voltages at stock for those 2 specifically helped too.

If you get that Kernel Panic, that is equivalent to a 0x124 BSOD on Windows on Ivy Bridge-E.

I literally don’t care anymore if that’s a bit excessive, the droop will take care of the rest and my temps are fully in check.

Bump your memory voltage if there is room ?

Already at 1.55V memory. The BCLK change mandated that.

No, the answer to all but vanity overclocking is to get something safe and stable.

You’re still pushing for the stupidity factor of people and I don’t appreciate that. If you’re the camp of “Make one mistake = you’re an idiot.” You’re part of the toxicity I want to avoid.

I’ve had enough of people telling me “You can’t.” It’s insidious.

Let people learn from mistakes on their own rather than berate them.

I wonder if this is just a loading issue, like the amount of load. I know it will likely be pegged at 100% on both OS’s but is 100% equal across them does windows through going easier, shuffling work, windows “optimisations” AMD so on mean that the AVX load is not as high as on Linux.

Or to put it another way is Linux too good at what it does and pushes too hard where windows does not?

well you’re absolutely right, you CAN ignore any suggestions you feel are insulting. However, at the end of the day, WE don’t have to use your machine. You do.

1 Like

THANK YOU. This was the point I was trying to make to abaxas.

Maybe. I was using FFmpeg 4.0.2 and I think the new microcode plus Linux optimizations required more Vcore.

I think you misread. I was trying to point out that while you may feel this overclock is necessary and should work, at the end of the day, if it’s either persist and not have a usable machine, or downclock and do, you should probably downclock. You are free to keep trying, but personally I will take less performance over more hassle any day of the week.

My temps reach nowhere near TJmax. Especially when doing FFmpeg with a max of only 65C on the hottest core. Even bumping up Vcore didn’t change max temps.

Current draw is also the same between the 2 voltages. I checked with HWinfo. 1.35 was at 0% Vdroop curve and 1.4 was at 30% Vdroop curve making the load voltage 1.39V.

I know what I’m doing. I also bought a CPU still covered under warranty until 2020. Amperage kills, but voltage if kept cool doesn’t as badly do the same effect. That’s why it’s 1.4V with Vdroop, cause without Vdroop would mean death.

Edit: Nope. Just got lucky on medium. 1.4 isn’t stable on slow neither. Gonna change BCLK back to 100 and see if it’s literally something funky with BCLK tweaks. If BCLK isn’t it. I’m giving up.

SUCCESS.

Funky BCLKs don’t play nice with FFmpeg x264 AVX on Linux. Initial instability was still Vcore, but I kept the BCLK on the wrong value for stability, cause it only plays nice at 100mhz BCLK on Ivy Bridge-E.

In fact, looking on overclock [dot] net, BCLK overclocking is a definite no no for 24/7 OCs. Looks like this is the first time and last time I’ll be doing that.

2 Likes

NOPE.

Tried encoding again today and it started crashing again.

Just gonna encode with a AVX -1 offset I guess. I give up on getting 4.4 stable with FFmpeg.

It’s weird because I encoded my ViewSonic video just fine but it waited until now to re-introduce instability.

Hey. I have or should I say had OC problems too. My CPU is an old x3440 maybe the newer gen is different but here is what I found.

I didn’t catch if you are running prime95 on windows but if you do. Windows is more tolerant to overclocking more “stable” if I can say so. Sure it will do some silent error but in my almost 5 years of 4.2Ghz overclock I needed to reinstall only once never did I loose data. Crashing occurred also only once upon a blue moon. Workloads ranged from gaming up to blender renders, substance painter and unreal shader compiling.
As soon as I switched to linux Fedora I couldn’t even get into the loading circle and the kernel would stop. I thought that’s it my PC is too old for linux, until I defaulted the BIOS and it started working. Now I am running 3.6Ghz and 1200Mhz memory and it’s finally stable.
Just few days ago I did some ffmpeg with 4K youtube-dl downloads and it’s stable.

I know it’s not an answer but my suggestion is to scale back OC for linux and make two profiles Windows “stable” and Linux stable.
Hope it helps.

youtube-dl downloads don’t encode, but they just stream from the network. It’s not a CPU intensive thing.

I’m almost certain the Intel microcode updates increased CPU stress. 4.3Ghz has no issues encoding, but 4.4Ghz has non-stop issues encoding, going into the dangerous voltage areas if you want to stabilize that.

1 Like