Powerline Ethernet Adapters... false economy? (Rant and Question)

I've been looking at extending my home network recently, so invested in four TP-Link 500Mbit Powerline Adapters. Unfortunately, I've just realized that my NIC's are running at 100Mbps, not 1Gbps. I did the checks and it's only downgraded when using the adapters. I realize that I would never get the full use of the 1Gbps regardless, but I had hoped to get a somewhat faster connection between the PC's in my home. As the adapters were advertised as having a Gigabit Ethernet port, I find this pretty annoying.. basically I paid for 500Mbit Adapters, when the 200Mbit would have given me exactly the same speeds. I did a little further digging and it turns out the PORT is Gigabit, BUT everything past the port (still inside the adapter) is not.

Anyway, I'm going to cut my losses and sell the adapters to recoup some of the money spent. The big question is where do I go from here for my home network. The computers are dotted around the home, so I'm thinking my only solution is to run cables behind the skirting boards. I really don't fancy messing about with anymore powerline adapters.

Is running CAT5e cable around my home the best way to do this? Any alternatives?

Many thanks..

Personally, I'd run 5e or 6 myself. You could go with wireless AC if you are willing to go wireless. I've always been hesitant to send a signal through my power lines as some electronics are sensitive.

I have experience with a few power line adapters, the reason why you are not truly getting the speeds you want is because the devices in different rooms are on different breakers, which creates degradation in the speeds.
I have found out the hard way after purchasing a few adapters, works great if you require up to 25Mbps on your network. You can test the speeds if you connect the devices in the same room and see that you achieve great speeds.

I am going to run some Cat 5e cables through my attic and down the walls this weekend once I order the parts tomorrow. I am using pre-cut and crimped Cat 5e and using wall plates with keystone couplers to plug in the devices I need.

If you own the house and intend to stay in it for 10+ years, just put in fiber through walls.

If you rent, just snake some cat6e where you can. That's the cheapest way,