Power Supply Advice

80% of the time I will be at my dorm on campus, it has airconditionors that are giant boxes on the ground with vents that blow up, once got a laptop Core 2 duo @ 0C, soooo heat won't be a problem at least most of the time it won't

Rabu Rabu said:

^ Buying expensive power supplies secures you a PSU for your next two to three builds if you take care of it. It's the same thing as having a large engine in a light pick-up truck thus improving fuel economy due to the fact the engine has to work less. In a simple "Computer to car analogy" done right.

Just don't buy a thermaltake. It did last me two builds but I had never heard/seen a power supply explode. It sounds like a balloon popping. Plus their cables are crap. The Sata ones tend to break and I can't get replacements here that easily. It's like they do it on purpose so that you have to buy more.

Dany said:

Just don't buy a thermaltake. It did last me two builds but I had never heard/seen a power supply explode. It sounds like a balloon popping. Plus their cables are crap. The Sata ones tend to break and I can't get replacements here that easily. It's like they do it on purpose so that you have to buy more.

That popping sound my friend, is an exploding capacitor. There is NOTHING more exciting than an exploding capacitor. But seriously, you should buy a power supply with japanese capacitors, they are the best. I am not sure it is thermaltakes fault though, electrolytic capacitors are a necessary evil, as they degrade over time but are the only type of capacitor that offer enough capacitance for the money and for it's size.

You should feel honored to have heard a capacitor explode.(And you should have replaced the cap yourself goddamnit)

the6ftmidget said:

That popping sound my friend, is an exploding capacitor. There is NOTHING more exciting than an exploding capacitor. But seriously, you should buy a power supply with japanese capacitors, they are the best. I am not sure it is thermaltakes fault though, electrolytic capacitors are a necessary evil, as they degrade over time but are the only type of capacitor that offer enough capacitance for the money and for it's size.

You should feel honored to have heard a capacitor explode.(And you should have replaced the cap yourself goddamnit)

I never try to fix hardware myself. I claim warranties and such. I know it only tends to cost you more money while you learn. I'll actually spend some good money on a new one. And yes, it was exciting... and lame afterwards. XD